Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550
Type Your Question Here...

I was cooking a brisket on my treager over night, it had been

I was cooking a brisket on my treager over night, it had been cooking for about 4-5 hours, I checked it at 2:00 am and it was fine, when I got back up at 6:00 am, the treager had stoped working and the temp was down to 32. I brought it in and put it in the oven. Is it still good or should I pitch it?
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself.

Obviously it is colder than a refrigerator outside if the meat had made it down to 32 degrees in less than 4 hours of time (since you do not know when it turned off). This is different from if it would have occurred at warmer temperatures.

In my opinion (and remember this is just advice) it would be okay as it was a short period and went directly from hot to cold (as it would if you would have placed in the refrigerator after cooking). I would bring it back up to temperature.

However, and I think this is important to state, I do not know all the specifics of your "site." If there is any way that the food could have become contaminated during the time it was cooled off (bugs, any other outside agents), then I would air on the side of caution and throw out the brisket. Reheating again would not necessarily kill all bacteria if some had gotten into it and there is really no way to test for that.

I wish I had a "definitive" answer for you but there are so many variables here to take into account. The positive side is that it was cold outside and should have prevented any issues with the meat itself. The negative side is that you do not know if any outside containiments could have entered after the treager was cool.

All the best and have a wonderful rest of the week.