SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

What are some pros and cons

What are some pros and cons on learning German vs. Italian.

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

My name isXXXXX used to be somewhat versed in both, however my Italian speaking family has since passed on so I have no use for it. My mother no longer uses German and thus my grasp on the language has since fallen. Regardless..

There are a couple things that are easy to recognize right off the bat. Italian is similar(ish) to Spanish, and is somewhat easy to learn the basics of conversational Italian. It can get a little tricky but Italian is a lovely language and by knowing Spanish you will pick it up somewhat easily or vice versa. If you know Italian and are put into a place that only speaks Spanish, you can get by.

With English being a Germanic language, this is also pretty easy to recognize. Some words are nearly the same(for example nacht and night)(morgen and morning) but there are some words that don't immediately click like (hoch and high for example. Putting German together is somewhat easy and learning conversational German even just the basics of it can be pretty simple.

In my eyes, having learned Spanish, knowing English and then learning Italian and German when I was younger it comes down to would you rather have something that is easy to recognize 60 percent of the time, or something that transfers to other languages (kinda-sorta) easily? Though really if you are going to either Italy or Germany, its a good idea to learn both!

Please take a moment to rate my service when you have completed reading.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist