Glenda B.
Glenda B., Internet Researcher
Experience:  15+ years of experience in research, verification and data collection.
Type Your Question Here...

grapes what should id for good season

grapes what should id for good season
Category: General
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.

I am not sure I understand what you mean, can you let me know what it is you are wanting?

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

grapes are small if not at all

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Edward

Do you mean you need to know how to grow them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes please

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Edward

Can you tell me what kind of grapes they are and where they are planted? Where you live?

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

on south of house

eating grapes,

one taste like welses grape juice,

i live in jersey

grapes were very small 2 years ago

last year none,at all cut them back too much

no luck ms daisy , ed

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Edward,

.

This is the best way to take care of your grapes and they should come back. You'll want to water them when the sun isn't out, so the water doesn't evaporate off the soil to fast. Water on the leaves can also magnify the sun causing damage to your plant. The first month you should water your cutting twice a day, after that you should water daily.

.

Prune your grapes as Winter is ending and the temperature won't be freezing anymore. The grape vines are leaving their dormant state to begin growing and producing grapes. You'll want to trim off any shoots that are growing off of the main branch in a different direction.
.
These shoots will weaken your vine, so remove them. The shoots that your going to keep, need to be trimmed back by as much as 80%. The more you trim, the more vigorously your vine will regrow. If any buds look damaged, prune them off as well.

.

The first thing you need to do when planting grapevines is to make sure the soil is good. Make sure the soil has good drainage yet sufficient moisture. Growing grapes requires a soil pH of 6.0 to 6.5. You can also mix in organic matter so the soil contains two to three percent. This means spreading 20 pounds of nitrogen per acre. A pH above 6.8 can be acidified by using sulfur. This will create the best soil for growing grapevines. The perfect soil is a gravelly loam that has been prepared to a depth of 12 inches or so.

.

Balanced Ratio :
All balanced fertilizers, organic or synthetic, contain a mixture of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, as well as a variety of secondary nutrients and additives, depending on the brand and fertilizer type. The Ohio State University recommends 8 ozs. of balanced 10-10-10 fertilizer per grapevine during the first year for optimal growth. The 10-10-10 or N-P-K ratio represents the ratio of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium levels contained in the fertilizer. Second year plants require 1 lb. of the 10-10-10 fertilizer, while third year and beyond plants require 1 1/2 lbs. of the mixture. The University of Connecticut recommends a first-year fertilizer spread of 4 to 5 feet in diameter, a second year spread of 4 to 5 feet and a third year and older spread of 3 to 5 feet. The balanced ratio is best for fertile soils because too much of any nutrient can cause severely weakened growth.
.
Soil tests determine the quantity of available nutrients present in soil. If phosphorus and potassium, two of the three primary nutrients found in fertilizer, are below optimum levels for the grape species grown, additional phosphorus or potassium-based fertilizers are required. According the University of Connecticut, if phosphorus levels are below optimum for the species of grapevine, apply phosphate-based fertilizer, such as a 0-45-0 fertilizer, at a rate of 1/2 lb. per vine. Phosphate-only fertilizer may contain nutrient levels lower than the 0-45-0 ratio, therefore the amount of application varies depending on the concentration. For example, a 0-20-0 ratio requires 1 1/4 lbs. of fertilizer per vine because of the decreased nutrient content per pound. In the instance of potassium levels bellow optimum, add potassium sulfate fertilizer, 0-0-43 analysis, at a rate of 3/4 lbs. per vine. Avoid adding additional nitrogen, as the nutrients can cause poor vine hardening, which leaves vines susceptible to disease and pests.
.
Soil with depleted nutrient levels requires the use of starter fertilizer with added nutrients for optimal grapevine growth. Use a starter fertilizer solution, such as 10-52-10 or 20-20-20, for an extra nutrient boost. The nutrient ratio depends on available nutrients in the soil before fertilization. According to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, in the case of an abundance of nitrogen, cover crops, such as the Italian ryegrass, absorb excess nitrogen and leave adequate nutrient levels for grapevines during the growing season.

.

The best way to keep weeds out when planting grapevines is to use a cover crop. A good cover crop can be rye, wheat or barley. This will help maintain the growing grapevines roots and keep out most of the weeds. You can train your grapevines to grow on fencing and arbors alike. Second year plants will produce the most fruit. First year plants are basically a way to help establish good roots and plants.

.

You can pick your grapes when they are ripe. Once they color, you should taste them daily until they reach the desired sweetness, or the desired ripeness for their purpose. The sugar increases the longer the fruit is on the vine after ripening.

.

You can find a good quality fertilizer at the local nursery or hardware store.

.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me, if there is a problem with my answer please feel free contacting me before leaving a negative feedback, any problem can be resolved.

.

I always do my very best to offer you the most current values and any information I can find for you.

.

A rating of one of the top 3 smiley faces Smile (then clicking submit ) lets JustAnswer/Pearl know I did answered your question, then I am compensated for my time, at no additional cost to the you. A good feed back rating, is very much appreciated, unless you do not feel a good feedback is warranted. If so please let me know what else I can do for you, ( if anything ) to help improve my feedback by, clicking on the "Continue the Conversation Link". My good rating is very important to me and something I strive to keep.

.

And if you would like to use me on any further questions. It works much better putting my name ( Glenda ) in your question , then I will be sure to get it. Requesting me expires in just a short time.

.

It has been a pleasure working for you, I look forward to it again.

Thank you so much

Glenda

Glenda B., Internet Researcher
Experience: 15+ years of experience in research, verification and data collection.