Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

Hi guys. I have a pair of Bushnell Fusion 1600 10 x 42 but

Hi guys. I have a pair of Bushnell Fusion 1600 10 x 42 but no matter what mode I am in they will not give me a range measurement. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Category: General
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello, Matt

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

My name is Michael

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Have you ever been able to get it to work, or is this your first time trying?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

As you probably know, you should get a range readout regardless of the mode.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So it might be something simple we can fix quickly.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

There are several possible indicators in the viewfinder. Have you seen anything illuminate in the viewfinder?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

To acquire a range, all that should be needed is holding the power button down. You should see crosshairs surrounding the aiming circle when you do this. That indicates that the laser is being transmitted and the range is being determined.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Once you see a range you can release the power button, but you do have to hold it until you get the readout.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Also, you should see the battery indicator on the left side of the viewfinder... just to verify that the battery is charged.

Customer:

I can see everything in the view finder and the crosshairs surround the aiming circle when holding the power button but know range is given. I have tried all modes. I have tried different batteries and the battery meter is showing full. I have also checked the batteries on a multi metre which has them at just over 3V

Customer:

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You have certainly covered most of the troubleshooting!

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

What about if you aim it at something close.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Also, make sure that the laser pulse is being emitted.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Sorry

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

computer problem

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You should be able to see the laser range finder if you point it at something close.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you are getting 3v your battery is fine.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So it would have to be something related to the laser itself.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Make sure it's not being blocked by something.

Customer:

Have tried it from close to far. There is nothing blocking the laser that I know of. Both objective lenses are clear and free of obstruction.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Are you able to see the laser?

Customer:

What do you mean?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you point it at something close - like a wall, and you depress the power button, you should be able to see the laser on the wall.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Just to test that part

Customer:

Cant see any laser on the wall

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

When you look in the viewfinder, is SETUP illuminated?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Or is anything flashing?

Customer:

No, setup isnt illuminated and nothing is flashing.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You can try setting the intensity of the display, to do that, press the mode button for 3 seconds. This will bring you to setup. Once you are in setup, pressing mode will toggle between brt1 and brt4

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

brt4 is the brightest.

Customer:

Already on brt4

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

What are you testing it with/pointing at?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Everything you are seeing indicates that you are using it properly.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Particularly if you see the crosshairs when ranging.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The minimum range is 10 yards.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

out to 1600 yards

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

so as long as the subject is more than 10 yards away you should get some reading.

Customer:

Have tested on everything from realestate signs to tress, rocks, cars etc from 10 yard out to over 500 at least.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Did you puchase it new?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Just to verify - when you see the crosshairs and circle, those are illuminated in red, correct?

Customer:

Bought it un used from someone else. Yes the crosshairs and circle are red.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Well, everything that you are doing is correct.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It sounds like the laser is not being emitted.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Regardless of the targeting mode, brush, bullseye, or scan... you should get a reading.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And you should get it almost immediately.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The only things that can get in the way of that - possibly - is with Bow mode or ARC

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

because the angle range compensation can go all the way up to 90 degrees... but even so, I would that that at some point you would have had it positioned to get a reading.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Even that would be something that I don't think would confuse you... so I don't think it's that. You seem to know what you're doing with them.

Customer:

Yeah it does seem like a Laser problem

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes... I can understand if it's difficult to see - it can be, but there's no time at which you should have a problem getting SOME readout

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

even if it were wrong... something.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

In fact in scan mode, it should change as you move it around.

Customer:

Yep it should but I have not had a single reading

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It might still be under warranty. This is a bummer though if you just got them.

Customer:

I don't think the warranty is transferable unfortunately

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

let me double check

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You're right.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

In fact, the range finders are one of the few exceptions to their lifetime warranty

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And even those are original owner, too.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Are you a hunter?

Customer:

Yes

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Well you can't find a much better binocular.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is it something you would want to try to fix yourself?

Customer:

Yeah but unfortunately I needed the range finder portion as well

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Oh, do doubt... when I say that, I mean, with the rangefinder.

Customer:

Nah not really. I wouldn't know where to start

Customer:

Yeah they are good value from all reports

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

They will also do out of warranty repair.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

But I think only through dealers in AU

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Do you want me to try to find one for you?

Customer:

Nah that's ok. I think I can get my money back anyway but I wanted to try and sort it before I had to

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That's great if you can. I know it's disappointing. But you can be almost certain that there is something wrong with the laser.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

While I have the link... they do have a division in AU actually

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Bushnell AU

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Actually, you have more stuff than we do.

Customer:

Cheers XXXXX XXXXX for your help.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you have any other questions related to this, feel free to come back and bounce it off me!

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Good luck

Customer:

Thanks mate

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.