Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

Starting police academy tomorrow, bought high-gloss patent

Starting police academy tomorrow, bought high-gloss patent leather dress lace-up oxfords online, and they're terrible! They fit fine in the foot area but the ankle area has way too much room. There are only 3 rows of lacing, so I can't pull them any tighter. Is there any way I can make these fit better without shoving an entire sock around my foot?
Hello and welcome.

I don't advise buying shoe online (as you probably learned already). The cost saving is not worth it compared to the risk of having them not fit properly.

I also don't advise to wear them for extended time because they can hurt your feet (especially the skin around the ankles).

If you are caught by time and have to use them you can try to give them a shape by tightening them empty until they kinda get easier to tight closer to your ankle. If you can wear a thicker wool sock they may also fit better. Another short time hack would be to use a foam/sponge over the top of your feet until you can get a new set of adjusted shoes.

A shoemaker/cobbler would be able to reduce them but that is usually expensive. I would personally prefer to sell them and buy new ones. Depending on how they are made, a reduction over the tongue may help them to close a bit more but to the expense of having less space for the top of your feet (and a new set of holes may have to be perforated).