Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

My disabled son is looking into moving into a group home.

Looking for answer and guidance for: What is costs to live in a group type home for wheelchair bound person who is otherwise intelligent and independent, where to look in the Tempe, AZ area. (I have posted 2 previous questions asking for an attorney and my son said that is not necessary.) Currently he is living alone in a one bedroom apartment, works at Brookline College as a Political Science Professor, and uses a Personal Assistant mornings and night. It would be great if he could find like a place where there were 4 bedrooms and a common kitchen with Personal Assistants provided. But we currently need advice where to look and about how much it will cost. Thank you.

Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Let me offer some suggestions in order to help finding that right place for a professor in my degree of study (BA in Political Science).

There are many services online that advertise group assisted living centers so what I thought can be helpful is to research from the State of Arizona that offer information on services that can help in finding proper living conditions for your son.

First thing I was able to locate is information from the Tempe office for tourism which has a very informative list of services for the disabled. There are lists for services such as Arizona Bridge to Independent Living as well as Disability Empowerment Center of Arizona:

The Arizona Department of Economic Security offers services that can assist with services such as assisted living:

Arizona Developmental Disabilities Planning Council offer information on services such as Arizona Assisted Living Federation of America (AFLA)and The Center for Habilitation-TCH: