Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Why sould Jewish people be buried in the ground instead of

Why sould Jewish people be buried in the ground instead of a Crypt?

Hello, Myrna and welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for your insightful question. Also, thank you for your patience. Various experts are online at different times and I just logged in and read your question.

According to Jewish law, the reason the deceased must be buried in a traditional grave in the ground, is so the body may return to the earth.

Alternatives to a traditional, in the ground burial, like a burial in crypts, vaults, and above-ground mausoleums are strictly forbidden, according to Jewish law. These traditions are mainly observed by the Jewish Orthodox; however, the manner of burial may also vary according to the beliefs of the deceased and the family. From personal experience, I know that some Reform and Conservative Jewish people do believe it is acceptable to be buried above ground in a crypt, mausoleum or vault and these do exist in non-Orthodox Jewish cemeteries.

For more information about the belief about why Jewish people should only be buried in the ground, and traditions followed for Jewish burials, please read THIS

I hope this helped.

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

Please rate with positive feedback (a happy, smiley face) when you are satisfied with my answer. Thanks very much!

Your satisfaction is always my greatest priority and my only goal is to provide you with Excellent Service!

~~If you wish to request me in the future, simply type "For Cher' to begin your post in my question box here: http://www.justanswer.com/general/expert-Cher/ and I will answer asap!~~

Please remember to rate before exiting the site and if there is no ratings box or you experience any trouble rating, please let me know. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher