Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

small figs on tree

small figs on tree
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

First of all, figs are tough plants with many varieties on the market. Some of the problems can be solved by using a plant food that is made just for that particular type of fruit. I have used fish food for sometime now for fruit trees with much success. I have a plum tree with nothing being produced until I was recommended by experts in the gardening field to purchase the liquid fish food. Did the trick as I had many plums in the spring and summer.

As for figs, here are some possible reasons why the fruit is small on your tree:

1. Fig trees are very susceptible to stress and when under stress, they will slow down or even stop ripening their fruit. If a fig tree does not have enough water, the figs won’t get ripe because the tree is trying to preserve all of its remaining seeds. If a fig tree continues to get too little water, it will drop its fruit, which means your fig fruit will fall off the tree while it is still green.

2. As with your peach tree, Keep an eye out for pests and disease as well, and treat these as soon as you spot them.

3. Feed tree every year and little pruning is required. Now that it is winter would be a good time to trim back some branches so new growth can begin in spring and summer.

4. Figs are not ready until they are ripe, so you will need to let them stay on the tree until fully ripe. Figs will stop ripening once they are removed from the tree.