Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

what can i use for spots on my home grown peachers, n.j.

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Bacterial spot affects peaches and is widespread throughout all fruit growing states east of the Rocky Mountains. For controlling spots that happen on your fruit, try doing some of these things to control the problem. While there is not one thing that can stop it in its tracks, there are things to do for prevention so that fruit in the future will have less of the what is called "Fruit Scab":

1. Prune trees annually to allow for better air circulation and to maintain tree vigor. If possible, prune during dry weather in the latter half of the dormant season. Be sure that air flow is good around your plants.

2. Fertilize when needed to maintain vigorous but not excessive growth.

3. In terms of a product to use to control the spots, it is recommended that a protectant fungicide should be used early in the season. Farms use various products such as Captan,
Sulfur, Benlate, Bravo, Topsin-M, Pristine, and
Ziram. I would recommend checking with your local gardening center to see what they have in stock as many of these products are sold only to farms. There are some commercial fungicide products out there for sale and I have used some myself to control fungus.