Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

How do you cook/make salmon?

How do you cook/make salmon?
Category: General
Expert:  Travis B. replied 1 year ago.

To properly cook Salmon, you would need to follow the steps listed below:

http://www.dinnertool.com/how-cook-salmon-ultimate-fish-guide

and

http://www.ehow.com/how_2290600_properly-cook-salmon.html

Please provide a positive rating!

Glad I could be of assistance and God bless; Happy Holidays!

Travis B.
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.
Its Mike again!

I hope all is well. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Don't forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service. Remember that when you are asked to give a rating you are rating My Service and not this website or your situation.

I used to eat salmon myself, a great bodybuilding and general health food, excellent nutrition, and for those who like it, great flavor.

I would usually grill it(I love grilling anything), broil it or bake it. I have also used some pan searing techniques with a light olive oil or butter to prevent sticking.

The basics are actually pretty easy with salmon.

When grilling you want a medium-high heat, you want to coat the grill with some olive oil, as well as the fish, you can use a brush for this. Cook the salmon(roughly inch to inch and a half thickness) for around 4-7 minutes a side, at least until they are opaque in the center. You can then coat with whatever you like.

Lemon, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper are excellent basics for seasonings. YOu can create a basic light sauce using garlic, rosemary, thyme, wine, little olive oil all blended. The beauty of salmon is it responds really well to all the kitchen basics. You can even go as far as pecan and citrus flavors if you wanted to though this would be better baked or broiled - its just so versatile.

So for pan cooXXXXX, XXXXXe idea, you can marinate as you want for 20-30 minutes, using light stuff, or just wait and do salt and pepper, then lemon(lemon is great). Medium to medium high heat on this one as well, put a bit of olive oil in the pan or some non stick before the heat. Cook each side around 3-5 minutes a side until the inside is finished. You can get a lovely crisp crust on the fish the inside flake tender, you just have to "Learn" salmon on your own stove as mine is different from yours.

Same thing for broiling, you treat it the exact same way, just make sure you set up your oven racks for it. The only difference is you do not need to flip it when broiling. Usually its a 5-10 minute broil on these, just keep checking and you should be good.

For baking, its a 350- to 375 temperature bake, for around 30-40 minutes. You can do the same, salt/pepper, lemon, basil, garlic on these as well, coating them before you bake them in a glass dish. I would recommend using foil and lining the pan, it makes cleanup a BREEZE.

Let me know how I can help further with your question. As always, great assisting you.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!

My favorite way to prepare salmon is in a 'packet' made from aluminum foil or parchment paper. You can cook individual portions easily, in this way.

Marinating the salmon before hand is optional, but place the salmon filet on the piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper you are planning to use (make sure it is big enough to wrap up and fold over), after spraying it with non-stick cooking spray (original canola oil or olive oil spray is good), spread a little olive oil or dot heart-smart vegetable oil spread (like Smart Balance) or a little butter over the top of the filet, sprinkle with garlic powder, a pinch of salt and pepper, a dash of soy sauce, some lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. of chopped dill, and close up your 'package' by bringing the long ends up to the center, fold in the shorter ends, and fold over the long ends a few times to seal it.

Place in the oven on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Open your packet carefully, as hot steam will escape, and you will be able to enjoy your delicious salmon. Eat it right from the packet, so there are no dishes to wash.

Please let me know if you enjoyed this recipe and feel free to ask me for any more in the future.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

Please rate with positive feedback (Laughing) when you are satisfied with my answer as this is the only way in which I am credited by the site for my assistance. Thanks very much! Your satisfaction is always my greatest priority and my only goal is to provide you with Excellent Service!

~~If you wish to request me again in the future, simply type "For Cher' to begin your post and I will answer asap!~~

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX Holidays,
Cher

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist