Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

ahow do youn keep from yawning while listening to speeches

ahow do youn keep from yawning while listening to speeches,etc

Hello Robie, and welcome back to Just Answer.

If you take some deep breaths and keep your mouth busy by chewing gum or sucking on a mint, etc., you may be able to prevent yawning. Also, try to keep your mind busy/alert by taking notes while the speaker is talking. However, yawning is a natural reflex and a way for your body to increase your oxygen level, so it's often difficult to stop it. I'm sure the speaker understands that people need to yawn. It's not necessarily a symptom of boredom with the activity (listening to a speech), but could be a symptom of not having gotten enough sleep and/or just a need to take in more oxygen. As long as you politely cover your mouth and not make any noise when yawning, it should not be considered offensive when listening to speeches, etc.

I hope this helped.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

Please rate with positive feedback (any smiley face) when you are satisfied with my answer. Your satisfaction is always my greatest priority! Thanks very much!

~~If you wish to request me in the future, simply type "For Cher' to begin your post and I will answer asap!~~

Best regards,

Hi again, Robie.

Thanks very much for your Excellent rating and the opportunity to be of help. Laughing

If you would like to request me for other questions at any time in the future, please start your question with "For Cher" and I will answer asap!

Best wishes and Happy Holidays,