Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

I have 3 colorlado blue spruce 20 plus years old. 40 to 50

I have 3 colorlado blue spruce 20 plus years old. 40 to 50 feet in height, what is value and are they a safety hazard?
Category: General
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I am a Moderator for this topic. I see that your question has been open for some time. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. If you still need help, some additional information will help me to answer your question.

When you ask about value, do you mean for their lumber, or are you referring to what it would cost to replace them in a landscape if they were destroyed by a storm?

Is there something wrong with the trees that you are concerned about safety? If so, what are the symptoms you see?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing wrong with trees. only interested in what cost to replace in landscape

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. It would be very difficult to find trees this size for sale.They are very difficult to transplant and hard to keep alive after being moved. However, from time to time, you may find a private seller with trees to be moved. The price would have to be negotiated between the buyer and seller. The most recently sold 40 foot blue spruce I could find were $2000 each. The buyer also had to pay for the digging and transport, which would probably add another $1000 to each tree. It takes expensive equipment and a lot of skill to much such big trees. Most homeowners would replace with smaller trees. Many nurseries sell trees in the 20 ft. range. Prices vary from one region to the next, and even from one nursery to the next. The best way to find out prices for your area would be to call a few nurseries. Trees small enough for you to plant yourself (3 to 8 ft.) can be bought balled and burlapped. Depending on size and prices in your area, these may run from $50 to several hundred dollars.

If the trees happened to be damaged by a storm, and you need a replacement value for an insurance company, you'll probably need to consult a certified arborist to get an estimate the insurance company would accept. This link will take you to a directory of certified arborists:

http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/findArborist.aspx

An arborist may also know of sellers of large trees in your area. If you have more questions, or if this wasn't the type of information you need, let me know by clicking on REPLY, and we'll proceed from there.

Anna

Please be sure to rate only SMILEY FACES to complete this transaction, or, if you need more help, click on REPLY and let me know what else you need. Thank you.
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.