hrguru206
hrguru206, Consultant
Experience:  Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida
62657179
Type Your Question Here...

This morning my husband told me his co-workers are talking

This morning my husband told me his co-workers are talking about the clothes he wears to work. I proceeded to iron a flannel shirt he has worn many times at work. He told me he can't wear flannel shirts any more. I asked him if they had a meeting about the dress code. He said no. I asked him why are they suddenly telling him flannel shirts are not acceptable after about six years. He said he can't wear that type of shirt or the pants with the pockets on the pants legs. I asked him what was the dress code. He said "business casual."
He said his manager is making comments to him about it as well as the other co-workers. He says he can hear them talking about it at a distance. When he comes nearby they stop talking. Even one of the co-workers he has known for a very long time makes comments to him about his clothes. I do my best to have my husbands clothes clean, neat and pressed. He doesn't wear fashionable clothes. He wears what' practical.
My question is why are the co-workers and his manager (who's an older woman) on his job suddenly making a big deal avbout the choice of clothes he wears? He has a change of clothes for each day and more. What's the big deal? I think his job is trying to get him to leave. They have always found fault with his work even though he sometimes puts in more time than necessary. He is salaried. He doesn't get appreciated for what he does for them. He is one of their top computer programmers.
My name is Mike.

I am sorry to hear about the frustration at work and the entire situation. I am right with the both of you in that "function presides over form" , in other words practicality over looks.

It would be tough to say what the employer is trying to do with him in regards XXXXX XXXXX him to leave however I can tell if that chances are they probably feel inadequate with the skills your husband brings to the table and the fact they are probably LOOKING to find something to nitpick like that. Let's be realistic, who really thinks dress code(provided its appropriate) has to do with a person's work performance assuming it wouldn't be hindering him(ie. if he needed pockets or pouches and didn't have them).

It sounds like the office is getting "catty" in that the other guys/gals there are really just looking for something to pick on him about, completely immature I know and agree, but unfortunately this type of childish behavior exists in every job, on every level of employment.

I would see what the manager says, but continue to dress in the way he is comfortable, performs best. If dress code is not in writing, and he is dressing appropriately, then until it comes down as official, he can wear what he likes. Pay the "haters" no mind.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
I would agree that it is best practice to avoid being concerned about what people are saying in the workplace. In these situations I have found it best to down play the situation, continue doing good work and not allow the situation and speculation to grow. He may in a professional manner approach his immediate supervisor and inquire if there have been any changes to the dress code? He may also wish to ask for a copy of the employee handbook and review the current policy. If all is in line and nothing has changed I would continue to dress appropriate for work as you have stated until formally approached and notified of a change.
hrguru206, Consultant
Experience: Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida