SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

Nutrition/supplement question: When purchasing a calcium supplement

Nutrition/supplement question:
When purchasing a calcium supplement are there drastic differences that make one brand better than another. What other ingredients need to be in the capsule to make it the ore readily absorbed. The shelves seem to be loaded with "NEW" and "improved" all the time. I think from what I have seen and researched that both Citracal & Caltrate seem good but wanted to check. I have had an Andrew Lessman calcium but cannot afford to get that now.
Is it necessary to have Boron, D3 and K1 in the pill?

SpecialistMike :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX you for using JustAnswer.

My name isXXXXX am an exercise physiologist and fitness expert here on Justanswer.com

To answer your question the importance of calcium absorption and utilization is dependent really essentially on the amount ingested but also on Vitamin D along with a stimulus to use and build (weight bearing etc). The reason you see a million different supplements is because of all the competition among supplement brands and the fact alot of companies try to prey on consumers. Vitamin D is important so its good to get that with a calcium supplement but assuming you are eating a healthy diet and not deficient in anything else, you really dont "need" a crazy marketed supplement.

I will give you another example of how the supplement industry tries to prey on consumers. There was a huge time where a "1 hour window" following a workout was basically mass marketed to the bodybuilding and weight training community. People bought it, everyone was buying up all these "after workout specific" supplements. It really wasn't needed but the consumers bought it. Research now shows there is no magic "window" in bodybuilding so of course the whole tone has changed.

In short, if you wanted to purchase the multi supplement(K, Boron etc..) thats good if it makes you feel better or if your diet is lacking some quality, but Caltrate and Citrcal are great products. I would use them without hesitation.

The supplement industry is a multi million dollar marketing industry with some products that do absolutely nothing but are marketed as miracles. In short, in fitness and health there isnt magic only good nutrition and good healthy habits.

Citracal and Caltrate will do great for you choose whichever one you like or is priced better per serving where you are buying.

Just in case the live chat answer wasn't posted to you i will copy it below

To answer your question the importance of calcium absorption and utilization is dependent really essentially on the amount ingested but also on Vitamin D along with a stimulus to use and build (weight bearing etc). The reason you see a million different supplements is because of all the competition among supplement brands and the fact a lot of companies try to prey on consumers. Vitamin D is important so its good to get that with a calcium supplement but assuming you are eating a healthy diet and not deficient in anything else, you really dolt "need" a crazy marketed supplement.

In short, if you wanted to purchase the multi supplement(K, Boron etc..) thats good if it makes you feel better or if your diet is lacking some quality, but Caltrate and Citracal are great products. I would use them without hesitation.

The supplement industry is a multi million dollar marketing industry with some products that do absolutely nothing but are marketed as miracles. In short, in fitness and health there isn't magic only good nutrition and good healthy habits.

Citracal and Caltrate will do great for you choose whichever one you like or is priced better per serving where you are buying.My name is XXXXX XXXXX you for using JustAnswer.

To answer your question the importance of calcium absorption and utilization is dependent really essentially on the amount ingested but also on Vitamin D along with a stimulus to use and build (weight bearing etc). The reason you see a million different supplements is because of all the competition among supplement brands and the fact a lot of companies try to prey on consumers. Vitamin D is important so its good to get that with a calcium supplement but assuming you are eating a healthy diet and not deficient in anything else, you really don't "need" a crazy marketed supplement.