Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Knowledgeable in a broad range of topics
Type Your Question Here...

Why do the blossoms fall off after blooming with the baby green

Why do the blossoms fall off after blooming with the baby green lemons attached?

Doctor Cameron : This is the medical forum
Doctor Cameron : do you want me to answer this for you or recategorise it?

Recategorize it.

Doctor Cameron : ok
Sent it off to be recatted. Hang in there
Hello and thank you for your question.

I have researched this issue, and have found that the reason this happens is typical for citrus trees. The process is known as "abscission," and is a natural thinning process. If you have a vegetable garden, think of the carrot, which you have to thin to allow for normal growth and production of the remainder of the crop. Citrus trees do this naturally because they tend to produce more flowers than they can provide with nutrients.

The dropping can also be caused by disease or fungus. Lemon scab is a fungus that causes immature lemon fruits to drop. Certain insects that feed on the fruit can also cause it to drop prematurely.

If you examine the fruit and there is no sign of fungus or infestation, and you are getting a good crop from the tree otherwise, the likely cause is abscission.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions, which I am happy to answer. Once you are satisfied, please kindly rate my service, as that is how I am compensated by the website. Thank you.

Lady Themis, Internet Researcher
Experience: Knowledgeable in a broad range of topics
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think there is more to it than this disease or insect infestation. How about light, watering and fertilizing?

Excessive rain and wet soil can cause root rot. If your soil is particularly wet, that may be causing the problem. Dark brown patches on the tree trunk indicate root rot may be an issue.

Lemon trees should be fertilized in fall and spring with a basic fertilizer containing potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus as well as magnesium and zinc.

Lemon trees do not like cold climates or temperatures, and prefer full sun. In cold temperatures, be sure to wrap the trunk or pack the soil up to 2 feet higher than ground level for insulation. More mature trees will require a blanket for insulation of leaves and branches.