Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550
Type Your Question Here...

HELP! I JUST BURNED STEWED APPLES VERY BADLY IN MY BROTHER-IN-LAWS

HELP! I JUST BURNED STEWED APPLES VERY BADLY IN MY BROTHER-IN-LAWS CAST ALUMINUM, VERY EXPENSIVE SAUCE PAN! IT IS BLACK EVEN UP ABOUT 3" ON THE SIDES!! GAWK! IS THERE A QUICK REMEDY FOR LOOSENING THE BURNED-ON STUFF! HE WILL KILL ME!
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself.
I am so sorry to hear about your situation.

Lets see if we can get this for you - or at least help. Do not scrape any further as there is no way it can be removed that way.

Fill the pan past the burnt on food, add some white vinegar and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes. -Try not to forget it this time. Haha Laughing

Pour off the liquid, let the pan cool enough to handle, and use a nylon scraper (like Pampered Chef includes with their stoneware) or wooden spoon to scrape off as much of the burnt mess as possible. If there is still a lot of burnt food, repeat the process. You might need to do this several times if the amount burned on is too extreme. The goal is to work of the layers that were built up on the aluminum.

Once you’ve gotten down to the last thin layer, it’s time to break out our old pal, Bar Keepers Friend, which is an oxalic acid compound and safe for food preparation surfaces. Sprinkle it over the bottom of the pot, which should still be damp, allow it to soak for a few moments, then use a rag and rub with the grain.

This is not going to remove everything, most likely, but it will be left in FAR better condition as compared to what you currently have.

If you have any followup questions, just click on Reply to Expert.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What about a dishwasher cube? Or baking soda?

You have to soften that material back up - you cannot just scrub it with baking soda, etc. The first thing to try is to rewarm the apple layers with the vinegar solution as this will help to break those apples down. If you just try to "break it free" you are just going to end up severely scratching the pan. This is not going to be a "quick fix" but one that will require some time and elbow grease to get it off the aluminum. You can try some of these other methods, but first I would use the boiled vinegar several times to take off as much of the upper layers of the apples as possible.

:-)
Hi Eugenai

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? I am so hoping you were able to get the apples removed.

If you need any further help, feel free to request me again anytime.

Let me know,
Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it really did! most of it came out the next morning and the rest w/Brillo! Thanks!