Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Type Your Question Here...

can i prune red raspberries at this time of year NOV/DEC?

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself.
Actually, this is a GREAT time to prune your raspberries. You will want to take your sharp shears and remove the fruiting canes that were used this season all the way down to the ground. They will have done their part and would not live. By removing and pruning these in late November, you will best be preparing your raspberries for the next year. You will want to also remove any weak or broken canes and thin any remaining ones to about 5 or 6 per row foot. This thinning reduces the competition for the raspberries and will result in larger berries for you.

If you have any followup questions, just click on reply to expert.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg,

I'm aware of your answer. Is it ok to prune next years canes down to 3 feet or so to make them more managable, no staking, promote sidebranching, without harming them?

Yes, that is okay to do and will not harm them for the next season. I would not take them down any lower than the 3 feet or so though as that would impact your harvest.