SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

I am not aware of what happend ie what energy is lost for the

I am not aware of what happend ie what energy is lost for the degradation of a radioactiive element to its lower level, suspect many such phase changes involve the escape of same particle however there rate of degradation ie half life is different, so what determines the rate of transformation if the particles involved are the same, molecular weight?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
Let me figure out the easiest way to explain this and I will get right back to you!

Thanks for your patience, and for the request.

Sorry for the delay.

The easiest way to explain this is nuclear stability. So when we talk about decay, half life, nuclear stability - those which are way more stable are going to have considerably longer half lives before degrading from the sample(of whatever you are looking at).

So if you look at it from a stressor standpoint, those which which are considerably more unstable are going to have shorter half lives.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have just found your supp answer and I hope you retread it as it is not an answer . It is
Nota big stretch to say those that are mare stable have a longer half life,that is two ways of saying the same thing the question is why do elements have different half lives? Is there something which dictates the length of the half life?
Well what dictates the length of the halflife is the stability of the nucleus which ends up being a function of time. Just give me a moment, I will contact a PhD in chemistry who is a long time friend of mine so we can explain it to you. Thanks for your patience.

Alright so I did the best I could to gather more information. Some of this is literally just nature of the isotopes and really can only be explained by nuclear physics, that neither I nor my friend who is a PhD in chemistry from a prestigious research school can explain.

When an isotope is unstable (thermodynamics) it doesn't mean it will be a fast (kinetics) decay. Some isotopes have LONG half lives and some have very short ones. the half life can't be affected by things like heat, pressure, etc. it's intrinsic to the isotope, meaning it just the nature of the isotope, some just decay faster than others. Nature of the isotope/element involved which would need specific nuclear physicists to explain(assuming they could do so in laymans terms)

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist