hrguru206, Consultant
Experience:  Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida
Type Your Question Here...

What is the best way to drill a 1/2 inch hole in the side of

What is the best way to drill a 1/2 inch hole in the side of a glass bottle?
Thank you.

hrguru206 :

Hello, you can use a diamond bit and keep a spray bottle handy to keep the area a bit wet. You want to make sure to practice on a few old bottles first and use gloves and protective eye wear in case of glass breakage.

hrguru206 :

Here you will find the steps involved...

hrguru206 :

Here is a video that might help.

hrguru206 :

The important thing is to use the right drill bit, keep the bottle wet, and use protective equipment, go slow and practice first.

I do appreciate the web site referrals but do not feel this constitutes expert advice, nor is such a referral worth $35. However, I'd be glad to pay you $5. for your assistance. Thank you.

hrguru206 :

No problem, I just wanted to add the internet sites as a backup to show in pictures what I was describing. I do have some experience using a diamond bit and drilling holes into glass for art projects I have completed in the past. I can also add that it does take some trial and error and depends on the type of glass you are drilling. Heavier thicker glass was easier for me and anththing too thin shattered and broke. The water is the key to keep the project from heating up and also to keep the small pieces of glass shavings from leaving the initial area. Good luck with your project and feel free to come back and update with details once complete.