Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Knowledgeable in a broad range of topics
Type Your Question Here...

If a person sends a letter or payment to a P.O. Box using certified

If a person sends a letter or payment to a P.O. Box using certified with return receipt requested, does the post office only put a heads-up notice in the P.O. Box to whoever comes and picks up the mail that they have a letter waiting for them at the post office's office, and if the person that comes and picks up the mail doesn't go by a certain time frame or date to go and pick up the letter, does the post office return the letter back to the sender or does the post office hold on to the letter until the person that comes pick up the mail goes to the post office's office to pick it up even if it takes forever? Thank you for your assistance.
Thank you for your question.

If certified mail is sent to a P.O. Box, a notice is placed in the mailbox indicating that certified mail is being held at the post office. The recipient must personally sign for the mail. Certified mail is held at the post office for 15 days, at which point it is returned to the sender if it is not signed for.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.