John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Math, science and 25 years experience in computer programming
Type Your Question Here...

Background: I have approximately 2,000 - 3 X 5 cards - and

Background: I have approximately 2,000 - 3 X 5 cards - and 500 - 5 X 8 memo sheets; each card and memo sheet has information I transcribed from daily readings. It may be quotes, phrases that I enjoyed, passages that touched me, or other written matters. Question 1: What would be a good software product I might consider to transcribe these 2,000 card and 500 memo sheets. Question 2. What product might I consider using to record the transcriptions of information. The product should allow for me to move, rearrange, summarize, add to, and or delete information from the 2000 transcribed cards and or 500 memo sheets.

My thoughts to date included possibly using Dragon Naturally Speaking as the transcribing software to which I would transcribe the information into "cells" on a Microsoft Excel worksheet. Although the data could be edited and rearranged, I am not sure this makes the best sense as Excel is not a "Word" type software.

I want to know if there are more appropriate cost effective transcription products available and writing products to transcribe to. The end result with be a hard back book and information sheets for internet distribution either for free or fee. I would appreciate someones experience.

Yes that can easily be done with Excel which can also save data to a text file which can be read by Word. If however you do not have Excel and you do not intend to purchase the software let me know and I will give you another solution