Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

anyone out there know anything about marketing?

Librarian Michael :

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Librarian Michael :

So many good reference sites out there for understanding the basics of marketing. From small business to just about any type of business out there, I can refer to you some very good reference materials to use.

Customer:

I have a simple question. Should I divulge my trade secrets on my website. It is basically beneficial for me to do so to allow me to evolve my business to where I want it to go. I am torn.

Customer:

Some experts advocate transparency.

Librarian Michael :

Great question as I am looking at a good marketing research site and they say there is no clear answer for this. The worry would be if somebody took what you have as a trade secret and use it for their use. Comes down to what a court would consider a trade secret. Here is the link that can give you some clear reasoning to use if you want to go that route: http://www.marketingtoday.com/legal/tradesec.htm

Customer:

releasing them allows me to sell my products---but does put my stuff out there. I provide a one of a kind service and want to transition to selling the subsequent products sale w/o me having to meet with the client--I want to eliminate myself from the equation----this requires I put the info they are currently paying for on my website--read it and buy the products.

Librarian Michael :

That would be my worry that somebody could take what you worked so hard to create and use it for their benefit for profit.

Customer:

I am not thinking right now about someone taking it for their own use. I am talking about potential clients seeing it and buying the products from someone else.

Librarian Michael :

Have you looked at the competition to see if there is anything close to what your provide?

Customer:

My stuff is completely unique. I am also looking for someone to refer me to some marketing forums that I can ask even more specific questions.

Librarian Michael :

Looking at some marketing reference sites, I came across something that I would believe would get you started on this subject:

• Measure the uniqueness of your offer against all competitors or whoever shares your market niche. The more unique your offer is the more likely it will gain share against your competitors.

• 4

Assess the exclusivity of your offer. If your potential customers can get your product or service somewhere else, then you will be forced to find another factor to differentiate your offer from the competition. If your offer cannot be found anywhere else, your business will benefit invariably.

• Test the perceived value of your offer. In order to be successful in business, you must be able to sell your product or service at a price point that is commensurate with what people are willing and able to pay. Ironically, you can under price an offer as well as overprice it.

Librarian Michael :

Here is a good list of forums for you to contact and ask more specific questions: http://www.ameliachampion.com/top-10-small-business-forums/

Customer:

Are you saying that if they CANNOT get my offer anywhere else I could reveal it on my site? I am a naturopathic dr who gets paid $500 per 1/2 appt---plus the sale of nutritional supplements. I want to transition to know appts and just commissions from supplement sales. So---if I put the info they would normally pay for on my website---freely for anyone to see and I also refer people to it---the volume of people buying supplements will increase significantly and could transend the revenue of doing less appts- Do you understand what I am saying. On one hand my stuff is out there for anyone to see--but on the other----potentially a lot of people are going to see it and buy supplements.

Librarian Michael :

Linkedin is very good and has many group for you to belong to on this very subject.

Librarian Michael :

Sounds like your question is a bit more on the medical side of marketing. I would think your question can be asked on the medical side of things here as possibly another in your profession can get a better understanding of your answer to you. I will see if I can send your request over to them.

Michael, Librarian
Experience: 20+ years as information professional
Hello. Let me make sure to understand what you mean. You currently take a cut on the service and the product.

The service is some kind of secret method or posology and the product is not secret and can be bought from competitor?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I run a successful niche business(not related to my name here on JustAnswer) that focuses on experience, some of the tricks of my given trade as well as the application of certain products. As a result I also retail these products I use.

I know first hand the type of situation you are in and would like to help you instead of blinding recommending websites with little to no first hand experience.

Would you mind sharing with me what your intended area to market toward is? Are you thinking locally? Are you looking to market the products on a larger scale or JUST locally/nationally etc..

Please fill me in, I would love to help.