Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

I have a relative that graduated cum laude about 1 year ago

I have a relative that graduated cum laude about 1 year ago from UC Berkeley with a B.A. in Film and a B.A. in American Studies with honors. She has been trying to find employment since graduation within the media or entertainment industry but has not had any success. I'm looking for any advice that I can provide her to assist in her efforts to find employment. She has very strong creative and communication skills and enjoys working with people. Is there any guidance that you can provide on how she might best proceed in pursuing employment?

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am ok to continue waiting. Thank you.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

First things first. Congrats on graduating one of the top schools in the country cum laude. As I am sure you know, the job market today is very difficult for college graduates as well as those with just a high school diploma.

Here is a quick overview of the industry as a whole:

Allow me to recommend some ideas for her to consider:

1. Networking is so important today in the job market. Organizations such as the alumni association of UC Berkeley would be a first step: Alumni groups are already established and having other alumni can help in networking for a particular field

2. Check with industry groups and publications that deal with the media and entertainment industry.

3. So many job sites to consider. Sites like and PRweb are two large sites for the industry. Also consider sites like and

4. Internships for the media and entertainment field would get her foot in the door.

Best of luck to her in finding that perfect career employment job!
Michael, Librarian
Experience: 20+ years as information professional
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. This is very helpful information! Appreciate it.