JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
14211116
Type Your Question Here...

I bought a fairly large crockpot and every time I use it (and

I bought a fairly large crockpot and every time I use it (and follow the recipe exactly) it burns my food. Should I just throw it out and get a new one or am I doing something wrong?
Category: General
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. What kinds of dishes are you using the crock pot for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tonight I used a recipe that called for chicken breast and said to put in the crockpot with bb sauce on low for 8 - 9 hrs. I left and came home 3 hrs later and it smelled scorched. I was hesistant to lift the lid and when I finally did 6 hrs into cook time it was burned black. This has happened to me when making peanut clusters, also.

For the chicken, did you add some water the bottom of the crock pot? How much chicken did you put in it (how many pounds)? Was the breast w/ skin and bone or skinless?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it didn't mention to add water, just bb sauce. I laid 5 breasts across the bottom in a single layer. Boneless and skinless. It seems when I do recipes in my smaller crockpot they are always perfect but this ones always burns, wondering if it is malfunctioning.

I don't think the crock pot is malfunctioning. The recipe was poorly written and, honestly, today's slow cookers are more powerful than the ones of yesterday.

Remember, your bigger pot also has more energy (so that it can cook more food).

You should put some water (not a lot) on the bottom so the breast doesn't stick (after all, it doesn't have a layer of skin to protect it) and you don't want the sugar in the BBQ sauce to burn on the direct heat. Here is a sample recipe for turkey breast in a slow cooker that uses a bit of liquid http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kelsey-nixon/turkey-roast-dip-with-melted-gruyere-recipe/index.html

Once your breast has an internal temp of 165 - 170 degrees, you want to remove it. You need to pay attention to your meat thermometer -- not what the recipe says. 8-9 hours is simply too long for a single layer of skinless breasts on a direct heat surface with no liquid.

As for the clusters, here's a warning from one online receipe "One word of caution. While this popular crockpot candy recipe has been around for many years, it was originally written at a time when the old slow cookers cooked at a much lower temperature than they do today. Unless you're still using one of the older ones, don't think you can dump everything in and then just leave it unattended for 3 hours on low. While all slow cookers vary and you might get away with it, there is also a strong risk that you will end up with nuts and chocolate that tastes, and are, burned with the newer cookers. Even though I do still use my 70-something Crockpot slow cooker for this recipe, I still stir it out of an abundance of caution."

Again, the crockpot is not defective. Today's crockpots simply are more powerful than the ones of yesterday. Use a meat thermometer and you'll find your way back to perfect meats. And, keep stirring your chocolate!

I hope that you found this information to be helpful and, indeed, informative and worthy of a positive rating so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

If I have not clarified things, please reply, because I want to make sure that you are satisfied that I have answered all of your concerns!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience: Skilled at assisting with general information needs.