SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Skin conducts electricity. Ive heard of applications where

Skin conducts electricity. I've heard of applications where a smart device uses the connectivity of the skin to communicate the business card info from someone's device to another via a simple handshake.

What existing technology would allow us to design a chip that would measure the exact dimensions of our limbs and body via a micro electric impulse?

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I'm with looking for an expert.

Thanks for everything!

Thank you for your reply. We will continue to search for a Professional to assist you.
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Quite an interesting question. Have been searching for sometime today and while not an expert in science related questions, I can take a stab at what you are interested in.

Here is a study on measure of the human biofield with technology used in the last 20+ years:

Here is a study by Drexel University on technology to measure the human body:

Would think one would want to take some of these technologies and try and have them placed on a single chip to do the measuring. From my research, I have not been able to find any research on any organization that has tried this.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX human physiology expert here on JustAnswer.

With years of experience in actual biometrics(the measure of the body) in both lab and sport settings I would like to give you some actual information as opposed to providing links.

So in the case of the human body, technically the physical dimensions of the body, aside from the bone structure can change(by tiny measurements) on a daily basis.

Bioelectrical impedance is the measure of electric resistance through the body and is commonly used to actually measure lean mass in humans. The issue with it is, the consistency because body water composition as well as electrolyte baXXXXX XXXXXes daily depending on things eaten and fluids consumed/expelled. Basically it measures resistance through various tissues and through a calculation gives a somewhat accurate lean mass percentage.

So as far as imaging, to confirm something like bone structure, we have things like MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and things like CT scans. These are used to create the internal image of bones, ligaments as well as the soft tissues, in "slice" like pictures.

So since we know a perceived lean mass via BIA or other ways to see lean mass. We know we can get a picture of of these tissues via MRI, where an xray would otherwise be impossible to implement in a small package without health risks. So by combining them, obviously though in the future and with development of the technology a chip could be created to authenticate a "person" - obviously it needs to be scaled down but that would be the starting point. Unless you used some sort of send/receive chip information implanted.

I hope this gives you a start of understanding.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hmmm. So not possible with current technology huh? I was hoping something would be able to determine your limb size through a micro pulse either through the limb or on the skin surface.

Thanks for your answer though. Very helpful!

.You are welcome.