Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Type Your Question Here...

I have a plant question. I bought some seeds on Etsy, and

I have a plant question. I bought some seeds on Etsy, and they sent me some extras that I didn't order. One of them is called a Giant Hibiscus caniabis and the other extra was something called false canibus. I don't know anything about marijuana and don't want to, but I don't want to get into trouble either. What can you tell me about these? I tried googling them, and got no where. Same story with Wikipedia. I am not a horticulturist. I can't find any info about either of these.

The Hibicus Canibus is a legal plant and does have a flower that lasts about 24 hours, but the leaves have been mistaken for Canibus Staiva which is the Marijuana Plant which is illegal.

This is a link on the Hibicus Canibus:

I did find a place on ebay that sells the False canibus " FALSE CANNABIS* DATISCA CANNABINA" seeds and it shows the plant:

The plant has cane like stems according to the description and the leaves resemble the marijuana plant.

These seeds would be legal to plant and has yellow flowers and are not Marijuana, but the leaves do resemble Marijuana. You may want to contact the company if you are uncomfortable with those exta seeds and see if they would replace them with something you would feel more comfortable with.

Please let me know if I can further assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. I feel better, but I think I will find these seeds a new home anyway. My husband is extremely uncomfortable with them. Maybe I can barter them or something.

I too would feel a bit uncomfortable with those plants. Wise to try to find someone who wants a novelty. Best wishes!