SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

good morning. is there a paint or other restorer that can

good morning. is there a paint or other restorer that can be used on plastic? we have a heavy plastic trampoline liner that is still in great condition that we'd like to protect from the elements. it's fading and discoloring at this time. thank you.
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.

FitnessSpecialist :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX you available?

Customer:

yes

FitnessSpecialist :

My name isXXXXX am the operator of a preservative niche automotive detailing service. We specialize in the mild restoration and preservation of various automobiles and their varying surfaces including vinyl, plastics, leathers, paint and any other brightwork

FitnessSpecialist :

When you say trampoline liner

FitnessSpecialist :

is this the ring that surrounds the springs?

Customer:

yes, it's about 8 inches wide and I'm not sure if it's vinyl or plastic

FitnessSpecialist :

Its probably a vinyl type of coating that feels like plastic

FitnessSpecialist :

plastic can get brittle fast

FitnessSpecialist :

So there are a couple ways to go about this, and I am going to recommend you treat the piece as if it were vinyl

FitnessSpecialist :

the caveat to the treatments is that there are products out there that promise long life and so on, but these products, depending on the quality of the piece in question can actually look good temporarily but then actually look worse over time

FitnessSpecialist :

they can also attract dirt and other things

FitnessSpecialist :

so with this, the type of treatment that i always recommend for things like this are actually water based...but as you can imagine a soaking heavy rain would actually somehwat limit them

FitnessSpecialist :

So I would recommend treating the vinyl piece as if it were part of an RV or camping setup

FitnessSpecialist :

simply because of the amount of exposure it gets and how much time out side it spends

FitnessSpecialist :

in other words, regular treatment is WAYYYYYY better than just trying to find a fix-all 1 time product, because they are few and far between

FitnessSpecialist :

are you with me so far?

Customer:

yes

FitnessSpecialist :

Do you have any marine stores nearby?

FitnessSpecialist :

West marine

FitnessSpecialist :

or any car care stores?

Customer:

yes we do. we have two car care stores and a marine store a couple hours away

FitnessSpecialist :

There is a product call 303 aerospace

FitnessSpecialist :

called*

FitnessSpecialist :

http://303products.com/index.php/protectant/303r-aerospace-protectant-16oz.html

FitnessSpecialist :

Its HUGE in the marine community for vinyl and boat plastics

FitnessSpecialist :

I recommend and use it as well on a bunch of different surfaces.

FitnessSpecialist :

its a high quality water based protectant that is odorless and super easy to use

Customer:

you can stop there. we just purchased a gallon of 303 this last Saturday for our cars. love the stuff and have been purchasing for years. didn't realize it would work on this.

FitnessSpecialist :

AWESOME!

FitnessSpecialist :

yea its truly amazing stuff

FitnessSpecialist :

safe on a bunch of surfaces

FitnessSpecialist :

just keep in mind that the plastic might be a tiny bit slippery

FitnessSpecialist :

so make sure you let people know this

FitnessSpecialist :

i know alot actually step on it

FitnessSpecialist :

Your other option is a product from Meguiar's called M40 Vinyl and Rubber conditioner

FitnessSpecialist :

this is really nice stuff too - I would put it right up there with 303

FitnessSpecialist :

M40 has a cleaner counterpart called M39

FitnessSpecialist :

i think its heavy duty vinyl cleaner

FitnessSpecialist :

basically you spray on, brush lightly to get off the dirt, rinse, then once the surface is try just condition it

FitnessSpecialist :

really try to work it in and you will see better durability

Customer:

we'll check out the M40 as well but try the 303. thank you so much. that's all i need you've answered my question. .

FitnessSpecialist :

Excellent, its truly great stuff

FitnessSpecialist :

if you need any more assistance in the future you can request me specifically

FitnessSpecialist :

It would be a pleasure helping you again

Customer:

thank you again. i will now check a face

FitnessSpecialist :

i will get you a link so you can add to your favorites

FitnessSpecialist :

ok sounds good

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Here you go Rebecca - add this to your bookmarks for future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/general/expert-cscsmike/
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS