Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

At bridge, can a declarer revoke? If so does the point of

At bridge, can a declarer revoke? If so does the point of play matter --- for example at the third last trick? And if so what is the penalty ?

Librarian Michael :

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Librarian Michael :

For playing bridge the common penalty is one or two tricks scored against the offending partnership, depending on the hand played. When the non-offending side hand is more seriously damaged than that, then they are compensated accordingly.

Librarian Michael :

The rule is handled by laws 61-64. A revoke may be corrected without trick penalty before the next play. Otherwise it becomes an established play. If corrected, then the card becomes a penalty card.

Librarian Michael :

For a declarer, they may ask a defender (law 66C). Once a revoke is established, the offending side is not under an obligation to point out the irregularity.

Librarian Michael :

Let me know if this was helpful and please rate my answer so that I can get an understanding if this was helpful in your request for an answer.

Customer:

I do not have a copy of the rules so it would be immensely helpful if you could copy the relevant parts to me (laws 61-64 ?). If this is too much could you at least quote 66C to me please ?

Librarian Michael :

The rules for revoke seems to follow various terms so I went ahead and sending to you the link to the actual rule for you to review: http://www.bridgehands.com/R/Revoke.htm

Customer:

Yes thank you very much --- I had tried to find the rules but obviously didnt look in the right places !!