hrguru206, Consultant
Experience:  Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida
Type Your Question Here...

how do you get rid of old latex paint, people tell me you can

how do you get rid of old latex paint, people tell me you can dry it out and then throw it out but it would still be in cans -- can the cans then be placed in your regular garbage?
could you pour it out and get rid of it that way? then what would you do with the cans?

hrguru206 :

My understanding is that only wet paint is considered hazardous material so you are correct in that you can dry it out and dispose of it in your regular trash. I would leave the lid off of the can when you dispose so if seen it is clear that it is dry paint. You can also buy a paint hardening product from home improvements stores like home depot to add to paint if for instance you have a half a can of wet paint that would be difficult to just let air dry. Another option is to see if your community has a recycling center or some offer specific days where they pick a spot in the community and allow you to drop off hazardous materials such as paint for disposal.

hrguru206 :

Please remember to rate my information as it is the only way I am credited with assisting you. I am happy to answer any additional questions.