Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I am a sophomore in college. My question is regarding a big

I am a sophomore in college. My question is regarding a big decision I have to make. I know I am the only one who can decide but I need someone completely unbiased to help me or point me in the right direction. I am currently trying to get back on track after spending last spring and summer semesters in medical leave. The problem has been that I have fallen behind to the point that I have lost all hope for getting back on track. This semester has come with many unfortunate events in my personal life that have thrown me into a state of depression. I had depression during my medical leave but now it has just gotten worse. I am far enough into the semester that I do not think I can pass any of my classes. If I drop the semester, then I will receive a failing grade anyway. I am considering changing schools to go to a more artistic side of the advertising major. I have created a pros and cons list of the effects of dropping the semester. The gist of it is the pros mostly have to do with my emotional state and my cons have to do with my academic standing. What should I do? Should I drop the semester or should continue stumbling through? I just feel like I am drowning in school right now.
Hi, and welcome back to Just Answer.
I'm sorry to hear that you're facing this difficult decision and as a teacher, I'd love to help you. If you could answer these few questions, it will give me a better idea of your situation, although you did include many details, which is appreciated:
How many classes and credits are you currently taking this semester?
Although you feel it is difficult, are you receiving failing grades in any of your classes?
If you transfer to another school, will you be able to transfer the credits you have already earned in this school?
Thanks for all your additional information.
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am currently taking 4 classes, 12 credit hours. And yes, I have an F in every class. I have a total of 32 credits from before. From past experience, I should be able to transfer my credits. It really depends on the school I choose to transfer to.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional and helpful information.
If you feel you are drowning in this semester's course load and are not doing well, it might be a good idea to drop the courses, take a breather to re-group and reorganize your life, feel less stressed, and get information regarding changing to the school of your choice, which you mentioned. If you are failing all the courses and don't feel you can bring up your grades in enough time to pass, before the end of the semester, you will fail if you finish the courses with an F and if you drop the courses, so there isn't much of a difference in the ultimate outcome.
At this point, you must do what you feel is best for yourself, and your emotional and physical health. If you are depressed and are being treated by a doctor, that's great. If you are not being treated or seeing a doctor/therapist at this time, this might be a great time to start.
You sound like a very intelligent person who has future plans to be in the advertising field, and all you need to do is follow that plan by enrolling in the other school where you feel you'll do better, because it has more artistic advertising courses you're interested in. Keeping your attitude positive is most important. You can accomplish anything you set your mind to, and becoming more decisive and organized within your own life, will be helpful.
I understand that dropping the courses now, won't look great on your transcript, but you can attribute that to your medical and emotional issues and having trouble getting back into the swing of things after missing a large part of school last year. Sticking it out and possibly failing the courses, will look just as bad on your transcript, so the outcome will be the same.
I wish you the best of luck and know whatever decision you make will be great!
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.
IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit from the site for assisting you. Thank you!
Please rate with positive feedback (smiley face) when you are satisfied with my answer. Your satisfaction is always my greatest priority!
~~~If you wish to request me in the future, simply type "For Cher" to begin your post and I will answer asap!~~~
Best regards,
Cher