JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
14211116
Type Your Question Here...

Cooking Question: Can I make a casserole in a Pyrex casserole

Cooking Question:

Can I make a casserole in a Pyrex casserole dish, freeze it, then then take it out of the freezer and bake it?
Category: General
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

The answer to your question is: no. You cannot do that. If you put the frozen dish into the oven, it will crack into many pieces due to the stress from the great temperature change.

To accomplish what you want, you may want to consider using one of those disposable aluminum pans that you can buy in the grocery store (cover it with plastic wrap and aluminum foil). And then, just to be safe, when you put the pan in the oven to bake, put it on top of a cookie sheet to capture any spills.

I hope that you found this information to be helpful and, indeed, informative and worthy of a positive rating so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you bake it with the plastic wrap under the foil? I'm also making something else that will be covered with spaghetti sauce. Is that save to store the same way? I've heard that if you put spaghetti sauce onto an aluminum pan, the acid from the tomatoes will pit the aluminum....

Actually, you can. I personally would take it off because I like to brown my top when baking but it's a matter of personal preference. The plastic wrap is more to help you out in the freezer.

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean just taking off the plastic?

What about the dish covered with tomato sauce? Is it OK to freeze and bake in that too?

If you answer these two questions, that would be fantastic and "Excellent" service. I'm a widow on disability supporting my adult son & myself on my disability & our expenses exceed my income. You were very helpful and if I could, I would give you a nice tip...

I would take off the plastic and tin foil while baking (then if it gets too brown before it's done, put the tin foil back on to keep it from burning).

It's fine to go from straight to freezer and then then oven using the disposable aluminum pans (again you want to put the pan on a cookie sheet when baking). But you can't do that with plastic (because it will melt in the oven). And you can't do it with glass, clay, or ceramic because the harsh change from freezing temps to a hot oven will result in it cracking.

I hope this helps to clarify things!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience: Skilled at assisting with general information needs.