Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

Do UK universities ever make conditional offers including and

Do UK universities ever make conditional offers including and A*? E.g., if someone has predicted A level results of A*BB, can a uni make an offer based on A*BB, or would they have to just say ABB?

Librarian Michael :

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

My research shows that universities can still offer conditional offers using the grades system. You need to achieve these grades or higher in the exams stated in your UCAS form. Anything lower and you have not met the terms to get in. Sometimes the offer will state you need to take a particular course in order to receive the grade needed to get in.

The site below gives some good examples on how the conditional offers system works:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Understanding_conditional_offers

Librarian Michael :

Those who are in charge of the grading system say you have to meet the requirements of the particular school and the grades you receive:

http://www.ucas.com/students/offers/offertypes

Librarian Michael :

There have been talk online that some students did get in with ACD and got in instead of ABB. Conditions are still with the university in question it looks like.

Librarian Michael :

Clearing and insurance is always important if there are any problems with not getting the exact grade it seems.

Customer:

I know how the UCAS system works. I think I may have phrased my question poorly. I want to know if universities ever make conditional offers wherein one of their required grades is an A* (i.e. an A-star grade)? Or do they never require an A* grade but only at most require an A (i.e. an A grade [no star]).

Customer:

That question obviously applies to each of the three grades that UK universities typically require for admission.

Librarian Michael :

A report from BBC News (August 2010) talks about the new benchmark and how universities are using it. The report says that. Most top universities have not asked prospective candidates to get the A* this year, with the exception of Cambridge University and, for some courses, University College London and Imperial College London (UCL uses it as a filter in some cases). Oxford is still under discussion on the topic at that time.

From my research, the numbers for A* grades have gone down so colleges could use this grade that is higher than an A for filtering.

Librarian Michael :

An example of one college is below:

http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/whataretheentryrequirements

Librarian Michael :

Such a new code for colleges to use so limited information seems to be out there. I hope what I was able to locate can be of some help to you with your question.