Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550
Type Your Question Here...

I cannot clear the answer off of my TI-84 plus. How can I

I cannot clear the answer off of my TI-84 plus.
How can I clear the prior question and answer?
Category: General
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a math teacher who uses these calculators everyday in my classes.

To clear the RAM on the calculator, hit the 2nd button and then the plus sign. You will then scroll down to where it says reset (number 7) and then hit ALL RAM. You will then need to verify.

If you have any issues with this process, just reply back. All the best and please be sure to rate so that I receive credit for my help today.

:-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your suggestion didn't work, so maybe I didn't give you enough information.

The screen says...

45+45

90

-------]]-------

----------------

>-------]D----si

n(6--WW--]]--]7-

]

Does it work when you just hit Clear and then Enter? Don't forget to hit the enter after hitting the clear button.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it does not. I did not know to hit the enter key after the clear button, but it still is not working. Now, each time I press the clear button, the screen adds another dash to the answer screen.

Then lets try the next step by removing the batteries- ensure calculator is on when you remove the batteries as shown below.

1. Turn the calculator on. If the calculator is off when you remove the batteries, the calculator won't reset.
  2. Remove one or more of the batteries from the back of the calculator. Wait 30 seconds.
  3. The calculator will reset the RAM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I turned the unit on and then removed the batteries. I waited a minute and then replaced the batteries.

When I turned the unit back on, the screen was the same as before.

I tried to press the clear button then the enter button, but it only added another dash to the screen.

Wow, yours is really being stubborn.

Lets do a full reset then.

This time pull out all 4 batteries AND the battery backup that is located underneath the batteries. Leave them out for 5 minutes (minimum).

Then reinstall the battery backup and then the batteries.

This should fully erase all memory and RAM.

I have only had to do that a couple times but yours seems to need it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It cleared the RAM and the display said so. Thank you!

The display now says...

Ans-

If I try a simple equation, 2*2, it won't display the answer.

What am I doing wrong now?

And it won't let me clear the screen(Ans-2*2-)

The ANS is just showig that it is using the last answer that you had.

You are hitting the actual CLEAR button that is right under the directional down button, correct? And not the dash key at the bottom near the enter key?

You should just be able to hit CLEAR - do not need to hit 2nd or anything before the clear.

This should also clear the ANS that is showing up on the calculator.

One last thing to try would be to take the faceplate off and then replace it. Maybe it is not correctly making the connection to the calculator.

If this is still doing this, I think you must have a stuck button that is not accepting the clear button to work correctly and is most likely an error with the calculator itself. I have had it several times where buttons went band and, unfortunately, in this case I think you may have a bad CLEAR button.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand. I am pressing the clear button under the directional buttons. After I turn the unit on, the first time I press clear, it does nothing. The second time I press it, it adds a dash(Ans--).

I will try taking off the faceplate and looking inside.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
One last thing to try

remove a AAA battery and hold the "On" key for 30 seconds before replacing the battery.
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent!! It works and I seem to be able to get an answer for all the problems that I give it.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX thank you!