Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Type Your Question Here...

Looking for someone that has been involved in college applications.

Looking for someone that has been involved in college applications. My godson has put together the common essay around the topic of him making the high school baseball team, his struggles & successes, and has included a paragraph on his volunteer work with disabled children playing baseball. The essay is limited to 500 words. He is applying to engineering colleges. Should the common essay mention anything about his desire to pursue engineering.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help today. I have been an educator for 15 years with dual masters in Education and teach at both the high school and college level.

For the general college essay, it would not be required to discuss the engineering side in the 500 words. The goal here will be to show how he used this is a learning tool - the personal success he had with the experience. They are looking more at his writing ability as an indicator of his ability at the college. In addition, showing the struggles and successes and how he persevered and grew as an individual is a GREAT idea for the common essay that he has written.

There is no requirement for it to mirror his study choice. For most entering college they would have little experience, in many cases, with the major they will eventually pursue. They are more interested in the story like you are telling where he was able to persevere during a struggle and then use that even for volunteer work.

All the best to you and your godson on this journey. If you need any followup, just click on Reply to Expert.

Have a wonderful weekend.