Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550
Type Your Question Here...

Bible experts: I read this passage cut and pasted below,

Bible experts:

I read this passage cut and pasted below, from a book on Holiness written by Rev. David K. Bernard, So, this is important for me to know what scriptures or principles are in place here regarding sexual consummation in this sentence:

If a marriage never possessed all the essential elements-
mutual consent, legal witness and recognition, and
sexual consummation-then it is not a genuine marriage.

below is cut and paste from a book on Holiness
Remarriage

A Christian widow or widower may remarry, as long

as the new spouse is also a Christian (I Corinthians 7:39).

263

It can be annulled-declared null and void-and each

party is then free to marry someone else.
Hello, my name is Greg.

There are actually several scriptures related to the consumation of marriage as important in the Bible.

Sexual intercourse is necessary to consummate the marriage (Deut. 21:13; Gen. 24:67; 29:21; 1 Kings 11:2). Intercourse signifies, in physical terms, how God has joined a wedded couple together (Gen. 2:24). To be joined as "one flesh" in a temporary relationship is therefore an abuse of the bodies God has given us. He has designed them in order to be able to consummate in physical terms what He has joined together in marriage.

The one area where there is some "gray" in this is when one of the couple (usually the male) is incapable of having sexual intercourse. This occurs at times with older couples who marry later in life or when medical conditions are present. In that case it would come down to the beliefs of the partners and some discussion with a minister would be appropriate if unsure.

I hope I have helped in that area. The act of sexual intercourse (consumation) is one of the binding aspects of marriage according to scripture.

If you need any followup, feel free to reply back. All the best to you and have a wonderful rest of the week.

:-)