Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Hello, i have a cleaning lady for the past 5 yrs. she comes

Hello, i have a cleaning lady for the past 5 yrs. she comes three times a week and i paid her $100.00 per day. (a total of 300.00 for 3 days) i also give her $20.00 extra for her transportation, and she gets a bonus of 700.00 to 1000 at the of the year. i just want to know if i am paying her right salary
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Jenny and welcome back to Just Answer.

Since you have had this same cleaning lady working for you for the past 5 years and you are obviously happy with her work, I think the $100 per day sounds like a correct amount, especially if she's there for quite a few hours and you feel she does a thorough job.

It's very generous of you to pay the extra amount for her transportation, especially considering the high price of gas nowadays (if she drives); if she takes a taxi or public transportation, it's still right of you to pay her extra towards that.

Your end of year bonus is very generous and if she knows she is getting this bonus at the end of the year, she will continue to do excellent work for you. It's a great incentive and it sounds like you were fortunate enough to find someone you trust, who does great work and I'm sure you're envied by many of your neighbors!

As long as you are happy with the work that she does, I believe you are paying her a very nice salary and I'm sure she appreciates it.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit from the site for assisting you. Thanks!

Please rate with positive feedback (smiley) when you are satisfied with my answer. Your satisfaction is my greatest priority!
~~To request me in the future, simply type 'For Cher' to begin your question~~

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Cher, I forgot to tell you that she works from 11:30am to 5:00 pm or 6:00 pm Mon, Tue and Friday. My house have eight rooms and 5 bathroom plus the basement. When she stays late i paid her extra $20 or $30 dollars. It seems that she is now concern cause she is telling a friend of mine, that other people paid $200.00 only for couple of hours. And i forgot to tell you that i always give her the ride home, cause the $20.00 dollars i give her is for her transportation in the day time.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Jenny and thanks for your reply with some additional and important information.

When she comes on these three days a week, is she cleaning the entire house every day, top to bottom, or does she concentrate on one area of the house, each day?

Do you consider staying late, after 6pm?

Does she do any cooking and/or laundry, also, or just cleaning?

When you say you give her the ride home, do you mean you drive her home, yourself?

Has she hinted to you that she would like a raise?

Thanks,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Monday's she cleans the kitchen, on the dinning room she only swept, she cleans 4 bathroom and mop the floors. Only occasional she stays after 6pm most of the time is when i travel. no cooking no laundry only iron on tuesdays. Yes i drive her home, Yes she hinted me for a raise, I just want to know that am doing the right thing i also pay her cash, should i pay her from now on with a check and give her a 1099. i want to do everything the right way.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Jenny and thanks for your reply.

First, I really doubt that someone else pays their cleaning lady $200 for only a couple of hours; she may have mentioned this to your friend, as a way for it to get back to you so you would consider giving her a raise.

Your house is quite large and if she splits up the work and gets the whole house done, plus the ironing, within the three days, I do think the $100 is quite fair, along with the other 'perks' of the job (which are added into the salary), which include your generous end of year bonus, paying her overtime, if she stays longer than usual, paying her in cash, and driving her home, plus paying for her transportation to get to you. However, if she feels she deserves a raise and you are very pleased with her work, plus you've had a good working relationship/built trust for 5 years, it might be worth it to offer her a raise of between $25-$50 per day, in order not to lose her.

If you pay her by check and give her a 1099, I don't think she will be pleased and may tell you she can't continue working for you with that arrangement.

If it's important to you to keep her on, because you are very pleased with her work and do not want to go through the hassle of looking for another cleaning lady who you would have to 'break in' to how you like things done, and make sure you can trust, it would be worth it to give her a small raise, to keep her happy and not lose her. If you have been paying her the same amount per day for 5 years, and the cost of living has increased, she may feel she's entitled to a raise, and if she were working in another field, she probably would have gotten a raise within the 5 years.

So, if you feel you really want to keep her on, it would be silly to be 'penny-wise and pound-foolish', as the saying goes, and I would offer her the raise. The amount is up to you.

I hope everything works out well and please keep me posted on what you decide to do.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cher, i already gave her a 1099 at the begining of the year she needed for her daughter to get into college, so my accountant suggest me to paid her by check and keep providing a 1099 for her, she seems to be fine but my question is the salary will change if i start paying her by check? i just want to do the best for me and her so in the future i won't expect any surprises from her. I also forgot to tell you that when she is sick or can't make it to work I paid her for the day even thought she didn't work the day for me. Because as you know the more nice that you are with people sometimes they take advantange. This is my last question, Thank You

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Jenny and thanks for your reply with more information about the situation.

You are a very kind person! You pay her for sick days or when she can't make it to work? You are very, very nice to her, because usually when someone is being paid by the hour or by the day (not a yearly salary), they don't get paid when they don't come to work. Being so nice to her will help you keep her on, if you are pleased with her work and don't want to lose her; however, it does sound like she may be trying to take advantage of your kindness and that's not right. You can sit down with her to discuss this situation and be very honest, saying, it seems to me from things that you've said, you would like to get a raise in pay. I'm not against doing this, because I'm pleased with your work, but I'd like to remind you that you are receiving many 'perks' from me, which other people in the same line of work do not get. These perks include paying you for days when you're sick or can't come to work, providing your transportation home, paying for your transportation here, and giving you a very generous end of year bonus. This is all added to your current salary, so you are technically making more than $100 a day, already. If it's very important to you to get a raise at this time, the most I can do is $25. And then see what she says.

Considering all the advantages she's already receiving, working for you, I do think she's getting a little greedy. I don't know of any other person who is as generous to their cleaning lady. I understand she's been with you for so many years, and you appreciate her, but she should appreciate all the 'extras' she already getting.

Again, this decision to give her a raise is totally up to you, but she has to realize how lucky she is to be getting all these extra payments from you. Another suggestion is, you can offer her the raise, but tell her that from now on, when she can't come to work, you will pay her half her salary for the day. If you feel she will not accept that or threaten to quit, then don't mention it. You'll have to play it be ear, regarding her reaction and how anxious you are to keep her.

I hope all goes well!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cher, so should i keep paying her cash or by check as my accountant requested so I could have proof for my records, cause to be honest at this point i don't trust nobody and her friends either which i think there are the ones that are telling her to ask me for a raise. And i want to do everything by the books or NYC Employment Dept. Thanks

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Jenny.

If your accountant advised you to pay her by check so you can have proof for your records, then I'd follow his/her advice. You said you want to do everything 'right' and by the books, so that would be the best way to accomplish that. I don't blame you for being distrustful, especially if you feel her friends are pushing her to ask for a raise. You are paying her very well, and to be honest, I don't think she'd find such a great position if she left you. Why don't you start looking around for another cleaning person and see who you can find that might do a comparable job. As I said, it's difficult to start with a new person, after building a relationship and trust with her after 5 years, but if her friends are putting ideas into her head about pushing for a raise, she might not have told them all the 'other' payments and 'extras' she's getting by working for you.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist