P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
Type Your Question Here...

I am not able to chat, can I please just ask the question and

I am not able to chat, can I please just ask the question and get one answer? Thanks!
I am a middle aged woman. Can you please tell me what I can say when a young guy... or even a young girl... or even someone my age for that matter calls me “sweetie” or “hun” or a name to that affect. Especially if its someone who works for me I want to responds in a way that is not at all hurtful or offensive, something that is totally not rude but makes it clear that I don't think its appropriate for them to be referring to me that way.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your question.

This is easy. A simple "Please don't call me sweetie", said with a professional and neutral tone, and following on with the conversation will send the clear message and reduce awkwardness.

If you can tie this into the conversation, much like a rhetorical question that does not need a response, it can be kept professional, and is less likely to make the other person uncomfortable.

For example, if your discussing how to solve a particular problem. If you lead with "please do not call me ___," and then give the information you want to provide on the topic that ends it. They will get the message and your relationship will move forward without the silly titles that they are using. can soften the blow a but by adding "I know you mean well" to the front.

But regardless they will get the message.

Its short, sweet, and will get your message across with little to no conflict.

Let me know if you have more questions