Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

I would like to know what Aluminum 6063 MLC is. I trade in

I would like to know what Aluminum 6063 MLC is. I trade in scrap metal. I was receiving $.80 per pound for clean 6063 T6 aluminum tubes. Recently the scrapyard down graded my scrap to "6063 MLC" and reduced the price by 50%. MLC Stands for "Mixed Low Copper" To my knowledge, 6063 T6 meets all requirements for "clean 6063" aluminum. Am I correct? I can furnish the engineered composition specifications of the tubes in question.
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Librarian Michael :

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

While not a metallurgist, I did some research and came up with some definitions of this item. Not sure if there is an expert within the answer community so I wanted to at least get you something to work with. Here is what I was able to find for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6063_aluminium_alloy

Aluminum MLCAs with clips this is a very common mix of 1100, 3003, 3004, 5005, 5052, 6061 and 6063. Unlike clips, MLC is usually the thick solids instead of the thin clean sheets.

Let me know if this can be of some help as by rating my answer so that I can get a feel on if this can be useful.

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
6063 T6 is clean aluminum by definition. The only possible reason it could/would be classified otherwise is if there was steel left on the aluminum from a problem with the extrusion process, but it's very unlikely.

MLC designates that there is a mixture of different types of (clean) aluminum. Although I don't think it would drop the value in half, it should be irrelevant. 6063-T6 is 6063 with a known composition of at LEAST 97.6% aluminum.

Pure 6063-T6 is not considered MLC, since it's not "mixed" with anything!

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Mike,

The issue is now mute due to my finding another scrapyard that is willing to test and pay the listed scrap metal price for 6063. Actually, .05 more. That having been said, I feel you should be compensated for your QUALITY response (which I am willing to submit).

Typically there is an area wherein I can, for lack of a better term, Tip the responder. If I failed to do so please advise.

I recognize your type of diligence can be beneficial in the future regarding other questions I may have. If exchanging contact information is possible (permissible) please let me know.

Brian.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear that you were happy with the help I was able to give. Please go ahead and rate my answer so that I can receive credit and please let me know in the future if I can be of help. Would be more than happy to help again.
Michael, Librarian
Experience: 20+ years as information professional
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Not sure which Mike you were writing to so please rate the Mike that helped the best to answer your question. Looks like the other Mike was able to give you more info on your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are correct; it was the other Mike I was referring to. That having been said, your response was not without merrit.

Brian.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Very kind of you and please be sure to rate the other Mike so that he receives credit for his helpful answer. I know both of us would be happy to help you again in the future.
Michael, Librarian