SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

What can I do to keep oposoms , racoons,mise and rats from

What can I do to keep oposoms , racoons,mise and rats from going under my mobil home?
Hi Doug,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX growing up on a farm I have unfortunately had to deal with the occasional pest, including each one of these.

Chances are underneath the home is either something they like(food or at least something to eat) or the fact that its warm and cozy or there are places for them to get comfortable.

First thing is eliminating trash or trash bins that are even close by the house. Racoons for example are scavengers, so anything that is enticing will attract them. Same thing goes for rats. Bring the trash and recyclables away from the house, out to the pickup area or the street.

If you have an indoor/outdoor cat or an outdoor only cat that you feed outside, you need to pick up its food and not leave it out because the smell can and will attract pests.

Next is making sure you aren't storing your gear underneath the home. Anything that keeps it warm or blocks it from the elements is going to be promote the pests staying there. They are there because they are comfortable and because there is something for them there.

You need to check the skirting to around the sides of the home. If there are missing pieces or broken pieces with holes, this should be replaced. You can use chicken wire in a pinch to close up holes.

Preventing them from actually going under the home may require an animal repellent, sprayed around the perimeter of the home or the entrance to the underside of the home. THe dry substances would obviously need to be replaced when it rained if it washes away.

The next thing to progress to is getting rid of ones that are already there. Now I would suggest have a heart traps as opposed to simply killing them. These can be used to trap the animal so it can be distanced from the situation. These usually can be rented from a humane society or other animal friendly place. Attractants such as peanut butter, bacon, or things with a yummy strong smell like lunch meat will suffice If you need to, you can hire a pest elimination company that specializes in the humane removal of the animals. Basically they set up traps, catch them and release them far away from the home. You would have to do the same thing, so it may be better off to hire someone.

But first, its important to clean out the underside, moving your trash and blocking the entrance to the underside.
Hi Doug, my colleague and I have some more information for you.

There are a ton of different choices for repellents, assuming you might try this before getting into trapping - though ideally a nice catch and release would be an easier way to get them all away from the house.

If you take a look at you will see a lot of different repellents, sectioned off by the type of "pest". These feature different urine types that the pests sense as predatorial and therefore stay far from.

Havahart brand, the same brand that make the great humane traps for releasing the pests, have their Critter Ridder repellent that features pepper extracts and other things that are irritating to the mucus membranes of the snout and eyes, the same things that are in scalding hot peppers and similar foods. It comes in a liquid and a granular form. Chances are you might be able to find this locally.

Good luck again Doug.