Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I once saw this website that was kind of like from a church.

I once saw this website that was kind of like from a church. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the church or the organization. Anyway, this website gave a lot of inspirational messages sometimes using celebrities, famous people, and so forth as examples. One inspirational message was about Gratitude; it talked about Charles Darrow, the inventor of Monopoly, and his wife, Esther Darrow. It talked about the fact that Charles Darrow probably didn't have much before Monopoly, and that he probably was struggling like many others during The Great Depression. But it also said that he probably returned home or to the apartment everyday after looking for work and was thankful for what he did have like a family, place to live, and so forth. Another inspirational message was about Pride and Humility. When the owner of The Dallas Cowboys, XXXXX XXXXX, hired Bill Parcells, the article said that XXXXX XXXXX had to swallow his pride if he wanted a good coach to turn his team around. I believe the year was 2003 when I saw these articles. The article about Charles Darrow and Gratitude is the inspirational message that I would love to find. I have tried searching for it with no luck. Is there an expert in Internet Research that can track this article down or the name of the church or something that might help me find this article with the clues I gave? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Jaime and welcome back to Just Answer!

Thanks for your insightful question. I am an internet researcher and I'm working on it now for you and will post back when I find the information you are seeking.

In the meantime, it would be helpful to know if this was an actual church site or religious organization where you saw these inspirational messages/articles posted?

The clues you gave were great, but I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit more.

Thanks very much for any additional detail you can provide.

Best wishes,
Cher

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 80% sure that it was a church and a ministry both.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Jaime and thanks for your reply with that helpful and additional information.

I'm continuing to research this for you.

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

O.K. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Jaime and you're most welcome; thanks for your patience.

I've found the following for you, which is the story of the fight against adversity by Charles and Esther Darrow. Scroll down to number 222, near the bottom of the page, to read the inspirational message:
http://www.slideshare.net/arti09/wisdom-pearls-short-inspiring-stories

While I realize this is not a church site, it may still be helpful to you.

If this is not what you had in mind, please let me know by clicking 'Reply to Expert' and I will continue my extensive search for you.

If you found this answer helpful, please rate with 'Excellent' so I may receive credit from the site. Thank you!

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The funny things is is that this may be it and I am not too sure because it was a very long time ago that I read it. However, I vaguely remember reading a very similar story where the only difference was that the moral of the story focused more on the "thankful for what they had attitude of Mr.and Mrs.Darrow" before they struck it rich rather than the focus being on adversity, and at the end, the story asked the reader if the reader was thankful for what the reader had just like Mr. and Mrs. Darrow were, something like that. If you don't mind, can you please try to search for something like I described? Otherwise, if you don't find anything, this will do and will be good enough. Thank you so much for your time.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Jaime and you're most welcome!

It's my pleasure to be of help to you!

Thanks very much for your reply and I do understand what you're looking for stressing more of the thankfulness. I'm continuing to research this for you and will post back as soon as I find something a little closer to your description.

I thank you for your patience!

Best wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Jaime and thanks for your patience.

I have been researching this since I my last reply. I have not been able to find the exact scenario you related, but I did find this more extensive version of the original story of Charles Darrow and raising himself out of poverty by inventing the game of Monopoly. He brought joy to his neighbors and friends, who were just as poor and took delight in enjoying playing the game at no cost, and momentarily forgetting their troubles and becoming 'virtual' millionaires, so that was quite a humanitarian accomplishment for Mr. Darrow!

I will continue to be on the lookout for this particular article you remember reading, but for now, this is what I can offer you and I hope it helps. Smile

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit from the site for assisting you. Thank you!

Please rate with positive feedback (smiley) when you are satisfied with my answer. Your satisfaction is my greatest priority!

Best regards,
Cher

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist