Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

What are two of the most popular database vendors (note vendors

What are two of the most popular database vendors (note vendors not databases) in the marketplace? What are the pros and cons of each vendor? What are some issues you would consider in making the decision to select a database vendor for an organization you work for?

Librarian Michael :

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Would be happy to help in your question on database vendors. Library database vendors are many so I would need to know a little more about what type of research you want to do and then I can research the top companies in the market as well as issues to work with.

Please advise me of your particular needs and I can then work on your question.

Customer:

Hello Michael,

Customer:

Sorry about that I hit the enter button by mistake. The question is in reference to a class I am taking. BIS/220 INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER APPLICATION AND SYSTEMS, will this help?

Librarian Michael :

More than happy to help. Will need a little more from you on what type of business you would be looking at for purchasing a database for an organization. A few months ago I was at the library conference with many vendors pushing their products so will need to know what business you would want to target.

Librarian Michael :

When you say popular databases, are you looking at size of the company or usage of patrons? Popular is varied by almost all librarians.

Librarian Michael :

The market research vendor IDC list for top database vendor for 2011:

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2183702/sap-fastest-growing-database-vendor-2011-idc

Customer:

Looking for usage of patrons. Like Sybase which was brought by SAP and another example is Oracle.

Librarian Michael :

My years of working for a Fortune 500 IT consultant had myself using this report that came out every year for help in questions like yours:

http://www.informationweek.com/1343

Great lists in terms of top vendors as well as how to pick a particular vendor for a particular business

Customer:

Thank you for the websites, they have given me something to work with.