Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

plants no figs on fig tree

plants no figs on fig tree

Librarian Michael :

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Growing fruit on trees can be some work at times as I have a few trees (plum and grapes as well as orange and peach).

I have done a little research and the good people at Rutgers University have some ideas.

1. Need at least eight hours of sunlight during the growing season, facing south.

2. They need a moisture retentive soil and warm climate

3. Long time before getting fruit (usually four to five years)

4. Do not over feed

5. It is important to remember that the cultivar you select should be self-fruitful, not requiring cross-pollination.

So depending on where you live and the climate and how old your tree is, it might take sometime before you get fruit.

I hope this helps in taking care of your plant and please let me know if there is anything additional I can help with in your question. Please also rate my answer so I can get an understanding of how I helped in your important question.

but 1 tree has figs

Could be the age of the tree as well as where it was purchased. Just helped another customer who had trouble with their tree and sometimes the store you purchased it at could have had a bad plant. Another option I have tried and worked for me is feeding it with fish food. Have had a grape plant with no fruit and my local gardening center said to try it. Worked for me so might want to give it a try.