SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

.For MIKE :I want to ask a question to The General

.For MIKE :I want to ask a question to The General Question Department. I prefer to ask my general question to The General Question Expert named Mike, A.K.A. Fitness Specialist. Is Mike (Fitness Specialist) available?

Category: General
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O.K. I appreciate that. Thank you.

Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.
I am here! Sorry for the delays, I have been a bit under the weather.

I didn't see the request either, I think my notifications are a bit messed up.

How can I help you today ? : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You may consider this a question for a Job Expert, and I have already gotten an answer from a Job Expert. However, would you mind if I asked you the same question and situation because I would love a second opinion?

Sure absolutely, ask away. Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This guy that I know just graduated from high school, but he is undecided as to what type of work that he wants to major in or study for. Are there any questions that he can ask himself that would help him make this decision? The things he enjoys doing are not really things that can be applied to a job, so I believe the question "what does he enjoy doing?" is out. He also does not really know a skill or craft of any kind, and if he has a talent, he does not know what it is nor do I. All I can say is that people tell him all of the time that he has a good memory and that he is meticulous and that he has a good heart. So, I don't think the question "what can he do?" is helpful. Can you please provide some guidance? Believe me when I say that he asked his counselor, but she didn't tell him anything that he already didn't know. Any assistance that you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.

This is a great question - the answer is going to be a completely loaded answer.

I speak from experience in that formal education doesn't always lead you to a career, though can lead you in a direction and give you a skill set to benefit someone later. Just to put this in perspective my formal education is physiology and public health, my career currently is the automotive preservation field.

I was completely undecided when I entered college, and the things I enjoyed too didn't really seem as though they could be applied. Fortunately that's not always the "point" of college. College is for building critical thinking, problem solving, securing better self-reliance as well as the academia. So its not JUST studies, its skill building and "self building".

The good thing about being undecided currently is that you can actually let yourself realize(as you go) what you are incredibly good at, or skilled at, or simply love doing. EVERYONE in college has to take general education - this is so we can have "relatively" well rounded graduates in society as well as giving each a chance to see what they like. For me it was a bunch of science, math, some writing and literature, minimal history. I realized very early on that I was a science geared person, after being in certain classes I realized I just love learning about the human body myself.

When I finished graduate school, I had a huge set of skills, that could be transfered to a bunch of different things but it turns out what I had been doing as a self supporting hobby actually turned into a career for me. Now, because of this, I am currently trying to build myself as a businessman and

One thing you need to ask yourself is "where do I want to be in X years" whether thats emotionally, physically, financially. Some people(and I have considered this myself) went through college because they knew they wanted a certain paycheck, they wanted a certain amount of time off and the ability to reach a goal in a certain time. They didn't finish a degree because they were skilled or passionate about that particular thing - they did it because they knew outside of that how to obtain the goal they wanted.

I think its really important in a situation like this to figure out what is important or what might end up being important. For example there is an injury rehab profession that literally pays next to nothing for the skills and time needed, eats up all spare time, has no set schedule and is otherwise very stressful. For someone looking to have a good amount of family time, this would be a terrible choice, however there are just some people who don't care or have resigned themselves to not having a family or that amount of time or sacrificing all the other things in their life in order to have it.

Eitherway, formal education is a GREAT idea this day and age. Its important to realize you need to figure out what seems reasonable at this point for short term and long term goals - write these down so you have an idea of what you want, but have it all in front of your face. This way you adjust the list as needed.

I think its important that you know each person has to get general education classes out of the way and that these classes are designed to round out each person, but also introduce them to it.

Keep in mind, you do not need to KNOW what you want to go to college for. If you were a junior in college and had no idea, I would say you really need to think about it. But thats not the case.

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist

Does this make sense?

I was in a very strange situation like this myself and as luck would have it I probably could've saved a bit of coin on school but I don't think I would have had nearly the amount of skills that I learned in classes. I want to make sure this becomes a comfortable place to be.

What hobbies or enjoyable things does this person have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

His hobbies are eating good food, going to the movies, and listening to music. He also loves the organization World Vision. But I don't think he would like to go beyond donating. I suppose it could make more sense if I ask you to pretend if the situation was that he was a junior in college with this dilemma. Would you advise anything different?

Well let me put it this way, not everyone is ready for college straight out of high school. Everyone goes for different reasons and some people go immediately because they are afraid of losing that momentum from school.

Some of the more obscure trades or highlighted trades I can think of would be something like culinary school, that is if you enjoy sharing these things with other people. I have always said once I hit the lotto (:)) that I will go to culinary school.

I think one of the things you should do is decide why right now, you want to go to college. I think having a short term goal or a long term goal list would help you in lining up the reasons you are going to do and then you can progress from there.

IF you were a junior in college, and you were dead set on completing the degree program immediately without taking more time(and money) waiting to see what you "wanted", would be to suggest your academic strong point and decide what would have the greatest balance of financial payoff with intrinsic satisfaction and creating a list of possible careers or majors from there.

One of things with donating is if you don't think donating is for you, maybe that would spark the fire for something of a non-profit organization for something like human poverty, the outcome both financially and intrinsically satisfying can be great.

Keep in mind, entering college, you will have gen ed classes that no matter what, need to be done.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Its Mike, checking back in with you - how are things going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O.K. I conveyed all of the information to my friend's son and he is going to study the situation and think things through. Thank you very much.

Thats excellent to hear.

I think it might be worthwhile not only to explore some of the options for the actual trades themselves, but exploring the business and back office administration pieces that go behind them.

I would recommend this not only from a satisfaction standpoint, but also from a "staying fresh" standpoint. By this I mean there are some people who may intensely enjoy a certain activity as a hobby, but when the activity itself becomes the main source of financial stability and the stress related to it piles up it becomes not as enjoyable. Now using the managing or administrative standpoint behind that particular trade - some people are simply better business people than they are technicians(using technician here as the "worker"). They strive in places where they are able to control the business aspect of the trade, but under pressure in the actual trade itself, may lose motivation or it may become a "task" once the pressure builds.

This is not always the case, but I would encourage him to not only look at certain jobs(a chef for a single example) but also look into the administrative part of that certain trade - often times where there is a higher percentage of people able to reach a higher financial "number", if you will, whiles still being super satisfied because of accomplished goals AND STILL being able to keep the trade as a hobby so it doesn't become stale or burnt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. I have encouraged him to be sure and ask a lot of questions to the college counselor and use them as much as he can and make them regret ever wanting to be a counselor because it is very likely that if he doesn't ask questions, they will not be much help. It shouldn't be that way, but too often, that is the case. I shared with him an experience I had in college. I told him that I love Biology and I really wanted to major in it. Sadly, it was not until I needed my last 5 classes when I realized that for these 5 classes, each class was going to require frequent field trips that were 26 miles away or more, depending on the class. And by frequent, I mean 3 times a week for a whole semester for each and every one of the 5 classes. To me, this was a hassle. So, I ended up having to change my major because I love Biology, but I do not love it that bad. I was very upset that the counselor did not think "Majoring in Biology will require frequent field trips. Some people might not be O.K. with that. I better let him know about this so that in the event he is not O.K. with it, he can change his major right now instead of finding out later when he has wasted a lot of time." I told my friend's son "don't let this happen to you." I told him that counselors should care about seeing things that you don't see and warning you about them, but the truth of the matter is that most of them don't care. I also told him too that going to a trade school and learning a skill can sometimes take you just as far as a college education can or even farther sometimes. I told him about a documentary that I saw in Fox News once about a company in Pennsylvania that very often has job vacancies that are unfilled as long as a year and a half. Why were these vacancies not being filled? Because while there were many applicants with college degrees that were trying to apply for any kind of job they could get, these college degree applicants did not know a skill, and the unfilled job vacancies that were unfilled for so long were job vacancies like for a welder, carpenter, electrician, plumber, and so forth. They interviewed a young man fresh out of high school that worked with this company in a job that paid him $21.00 per hour and he said that he has a brother with a Master's Degree that is unemployed. What helped this young man fresh out of high school? In high school, he took classes like Electrical Welding, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration, Auto Body, TV/VCR/DVD repair, and so forth and he was very skilled after graduating from high school. I also shared with my friend's son that my father told me that during The Great Depression, there were 3 industries that still thrived despite The Great Depression: The Beauty Salons, The Health/Medical Field, and The Movie Theatres. I told my friend's son that maybe he might consider Cosmotology and study to be a stylist. I also told him too that there are some medical fields too both in college and trade schools that are just 2 years long and pay very well and that sometimes the medical field includes office jobs where you handle patient records and all of that. However, when he asked me if the new healthcare law would compromise the medical field in anyway, all I could answer was "I don't know. I'm hearing mixed messages on that topic." Finally, especially since he likes movies a lot, I told him that he might want to look into whether or not that if he were to start working in a minimum wage job at the movie theatre, if it's possible for him to work his way up to a manager position that would pay well. Since he also likes music, I shared with him my experience in college when I took Music Appreciation that I really became appreciative of Classical Music, and I told him that who knows that if he might get to like Classical Music too. I told him that one of the basics in college is to choose between Art Appreciation or Music Appreciation. I asked him that if he can get to like Classical Music, does he think that would lead him to a career in Music. But he just remains undecisive. So, that's where it stands. But at least now he has a lot of information to ponder on to hopefully help him in making the right choice. Thanks again for your help.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Mike did a great job with your request and gave good advise on your question. I just want to add that there is a book that has been out for years that can help in working on career decisions in the job market.

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/features/what-color-is-your-parachute/

Go to your local public library to borrow their copy.
Michael, Librarian
Experience: 20+ years as information professional

It's Mike again. I would like to make a recommendation of a book, for the possible young entrepreneur in place of a blind recommendation found from searching on the internet which I don't believe is tailored to his situation.

I wanted to provide you with a self employment book, should the young man choose this route that I can speak by experience as helpful. Absolutely amazing book. If nothing else this is a book a for business planning and development, though easy to understand and otherwise excite someone who might entertain the idea of business.

The E-myth revisited by Michael Gerber is the name of the book. http://www.amazon.com/The-E-Myth-Revisited-Small-Businesses/dp/0887307280 for the e-reader.

Its also available as an audio book so he could listen to whenever he wants. In this book, the author outlines the differences between the business vision, the technician and the manager.

I think this would greatly benefit the son of your friend, in the event he feels like self employment might be up his alley - if nothing else it gives a tremendous sense for the business owner on how the separation of various tasks is essential to growth and development.

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS