Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781
Type Your Question Here...

how did rotherham uniteds new football ground come to be called

how did rotherham united's new football ground come to be called new york stadium
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

The name for the stadium was announced as the 'New York Stadium' on 19 December 2011, chosen ahead of 'The Foundry' and 'The Waterfront Stadium'.

The reasoning for this is that the area of land that the stadium lies upon is called New York, and it was thought that it would be better to name the stadium after history and/or where the stadium is situated, like nearby stadiums Bramall Lane and Hillsborough.

Chairman XXXXX XXXXX hopes that the name could bring investment from New York or further afield, as the New York Yankees chairman had recently said that he wanted to invest into an English football team.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Stadium

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,hi chris,thank you for you reply.but i would like to know is how did that land the stadium is built on get the name new york.i have heard that the site was a iron foundry called GUEST & CHRIMES and thy madethe red fire hydrants for NEW YORK CITY USA.and was a sort of nick name for foundry,do you think it could be true,i would like to know what you think. thank you. DON
Hi Don,
I did some more research and while what you have said could be true I cannot find confirmation of of it.

So the answer is yes I think it could be true but I cannot find any information at this time to back that up.

Thanks
-Chris