Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Knowledgeable in a broad range of topics
11297241
Type Your Question Here...

Cake flavors... Im trying to choose flavors for my sons

Cake flavors...

I'm trying to choose flavors for my son's birthday cake that I'm ordering from a grocery store bakery. I'm positive that I want a white cake with strawberries & whip cream in the filling. What I'm unsure about is what to order for the frosting... The bakery said it's pretty common to just make the frosting whip cream too. I definitely know that it would go since there's already whip cream in the filling and strawberries and whip cream are a classic combination. But I guess I was thinking that a different frosting would add a little more flavor, contrast, etc.. The only 2 options are whip cream and white butter cream. Do you think it would taste good and add contrast if I put white butter cream frosting on top, or it might clash and it would just be safer to repeat the filling and put whip cream on top as well? Thanks!
Category: General
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I have years of baking experience and am an avid cake lover myself.

Usually the type of whipped cream that is used for fillings and frostings is more substantial than cream that is merely whipped. It usually has additives like flour and flavorings that makes it sturdier. So if that's why you're thinking you'd like butter cream, don't let that deter you.

That said, I'm with you on this. I prefer a much more substantial butter cream as the frosting (as do most children I would say). I don't think the two would compete. It's pretty common for a cake to have a filling that is different from the frosting, and the filling is generally lighter than the frosting.

I hope this helps!

Lady Themis, Internet Researcher
Experience: Knowledgeable in a broad range of topics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer and details... You sound like the perfect person to ask my next question... Just in this short time after I asked you my first question, I'm already having a change of heart I think. I'm thinking to be ambitious and maybe make my own cake. It is going to be a busy day as it is and so I was trying to make it a little bit easier on myself by buying a cake, but I LOVE eating home-made dishes, compared to store-bought (especially from a grocery store bakery, which I originally was planning to get it from) and I think everyone else at the party would enjoy a home-made cake better as well.

When I was helping my sister shop for her wedding cake years ago, we tasted a few varieties and although she never chose this combination, I loved this one mini cake we tried (banana cake, some type of raspberry moose filling and a chocolate frosting)... I loved that combination... Have you tried a combo like that or similar to that? Although I'm pretty sure this is the type of cake I want to make, I guess I'm not sure of the direction I want to go. I know I don't want to make everything from scratch if at all possible... Could you give me your best advice with my ideas below?..

I'm thinking to do one of these:

1) home-made banana cake that I already have a recipe for that I make often, home-made raspberry filling (using frozen raspberries and raspberry preserves), and either using like a container of betty-crocker chocolate frosting or trying a nutella frosting that I've seen, but never tried (mix whipping cream with nutella)

2) forget the banana cake and just make a box yellow cake mix, same raspberry preserves, and same options for chocolate frosting.

I would attempt the raspberry moose-type filling, but I have no idea how to do it and don't want to screw it up. Do you like one of those 2 options I listed above, or were you inspired from my ideas to suggest additional tips to pull my ideas together? If I can get away with it, I would love if I can maybe make part of the cake home-made and the part(s) (that aren't so integral to the cake) to be store-bought if I can get away with it... Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

A banana cake with raspberry mousse and chocolate frosting sounds like a terrific combination. My only thought is that the raspberry mousse might overshadow the banana taste of the cake. Do you have time to experiment between the banana cake and a regular yellow cake mix? A boxed lemon cake might go well with that combination too. I do love the idea of a banana cake - that sounds delicious.

If you'd like to do part homemade and part store-bought (to save time), I would recommend making the cake from scratch and buying a store-bought frosting. Store-bought frostings keep better (because of all the preservatives) than homemade frostings, which normally must be refrigerated immediately after preparation. And frankly, the store-bought kind often tastes better!

Here is a simple recipe for a raspberry filling (not a mousse - more of a spread). Omit the liquor for the little ones:

http://www.cakeboss.com/raspberryfilling.aspx

Or, an easy little cheat is to spread some seedless raspberry jam between the cake layers.

I hope this helps. Happy cake-making!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would definitely be thoughtful and ideal to test this out before the main day but I'm serving it to an uncritical group of people that really appreciate anything and very accustom to cake mix cakes. So I guess I feel like it's not that big of a deal, although I'd like to know what the combo tastes like before serving it to people. I understand what you're saying about the raspberry overshadowing the banana and overall I know it's better if the flavors are distinct and can stand on their own, but do you think it will all taste good together? I guess I'll be content with that fact if I'm confident that the combination will just GENERALLY make a yummy cake. Thanks for the tips about store-bought frosting. That's a good idea and will definitely save me time. I think I'll do that.
I think that combination will be delicious. You can't go wrong with banana and chocolate, and the raspberry filling will be add a nice slightly tart compliment. I'm sure your guests will love it!
Lady Themis, Internet Researcher