Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

Where can I find a website like this but for genetic questions

Where can I find a website like this but for genetic questions and answers?
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

The general area of Justanswer has Experts form all walks of life and reseachers that can assist you. Do you have a specific question we can assist you with now. The General area would be where you could ask a generic question.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where could I ask a genetic question?

Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

Are you looking for information on Genes as in DNA or RNA (Genetics) pertaining to health?

If so I can have this question transfered to the medical area.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I am looking for information pertaining to biological science.

Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

Our Medical department should be able to assist you with that. You can post a new question in Medical if you would like, or I can have this question transfered.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

I am going to opt out and have this sent to medical where they can assist you.

Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
I am one of the medical/health experts on the site, and would happy to help you or direct to you an appropriate resource.

What is your question regarding genetics/biology?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which of the following mutations are possible to create, which ones are not and why (for each)?

• A human with a monkey’s prehensile tail.

• A land vertebrate with more than four limbs.

• An organism that can breathe in air and underwater.

• A sentient plant.

• An animal with the intelligence and language of a human, complete with the ability to read, write, and do basic math, or at least an animal that can talk.

• A three headed dog such as Cerberus from Greek Mythology or any multi-headed animal.

• A human with webbed feet.

• A human with only one eye, like a Cyclops.

• A bird with no feet.

• A winged horse like Pegasus.

• A winged deer.

• An animal with impenetrable skin.

• An all purpose dog, (herding, hunting, tracking, police work, military operations, pulling sleds, sports, tricks, companionship, search and rescue, and therapy).

Is this homework for some course?

If so, what is the course and the level of education?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This isn't homework. I am just curious because I believe that one day it might be possible to create such mutations and that it would be cool if someone did.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am perfectly fine with waiting. I will wait as long as it takes. Even if it takes the rest of my life.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Interesting questions you have there!

Right away i can tell you that they are all possible. Some already exist, some are mutation that can be replicated and some would never happen by normal evolution but are possible to create. That said it does not mean that it can be done in the next hour if someone decide to.

Let me take them all one by one...

A human with a monkey’s prehensile tail.
Human sometime are born with a tail. Like moving your ears, this is just a question of practice starting to do it early (or else the muscle and nervous path get unusable with time).

# XXXXX land vertebrate with more than four limbs.
Insect have 6 legs, arachnid 8. It should be possible to have more than 4 by growing additional ones or by atrophying limbs and using fingers instead.

# XXXXX organism that can breathe in air and underwater.
amphibians and some fishes. It should not be impossible to do like Patrick Duffy in "Man from Atlantis" or the Italian movie "L'Isola degli uomini pesce".

# XXXXX sentient plant.
Some may not be far from this already even without a central nervous system. Oaks for example can communicate to other oak that they are under stress by the roots so that the others can already prepare by producing more tannins.

# XXXXX animal with the intelligence and language of a human, complete with the ability to read, write, and do basic math, or at least an animal that can talk.
Dolphin are quite close to this. Bird of the corvidae family (Jay, Crow, Raven) have a section of the brain super developed called the hyperstriatum (this is the equivalent to hour cerebral cortex). They can count and talk. Boosting those region would bring things seen in "The Island of Doctor Moreau".

# XXXXX three headed dog such as Cerberus from Greek Mythology or any multi-headed animal.
It is lot less common these days but farm exposition with two headed cow or circus with two headed snake where frequent. It's related to the Siamese twins (Conjoined twins) defect. They are not really 1 but 2 fused creature. So Cerberus is in fact 3 individual. 3 is not possible because of the way cell divide. They start as one, divide as 2, 4, 8, 16 and so on. To have 3 would require one to aboard and be reabsorbed. I never heard of conjoined triplet and i don't think organ could be shared that way but i don't wee why 4 could not be possible. You could add salamander gene and have them regrow a cut head to have an Hydra.

# XXXXX human with webbed feet.
That condition sometime happen as birth malformation and is refered as "Syndactyly". Some mammal feature this, like bats (on the fingers), kangaroo, Hose's palm civet, Platypus. But it can also be found in primate, like the Siamang.

# XXXXX human with only one eye, like a Cyclops.
This can also happen as a birth defect, the condition is known as "Cyclopia".

# XXXXX bird with no feet.
Some birth defect can cause that.

# XXXXX winged horse like Pegasus.
This one is complicated. You need to add 2 limbs. Get them webbed to create wings. If you want Pegasus instead of a bat/horse you have to add feathers. Then you have to lower the bone density to allow it to fly.

# XXXXX winged deer.
Not much different than Pegasus but more dangerous for plane windshield :)

# XXXXX animal with impenetrable skin.
Even if i don't really like the term as it's not really one that relate animals, the closer in mammals are Pachydermata. Keratin and Chitin are the best solution possible to make with DNA at this point. Growing Kevlar would be toxic to organism but silk could come close to your goal.

# XXXXX all purpose dog, (herding, hunting, tracking, police work, military operations, pulling sleds, sports, tricks, companionship, search and rescue, and therapy).
That should all be possible unless 2 quality are at opposite. When that happen the intelligence of the dog need to be boosted a lot so that it can choose the skill by context and consciously reduce his other Instinct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here are some more questions:

Which of the following hybridizations are possible to create and which ones are not and why?

• A human-fish hybrid such as a mermaid or merman.

• A human-horse hybrid such as a centaur.

• An animal-plant hybrid.

• A human-plant hybrid

• A human-bird hybrid such as a harpy or a geruda.

• A human-bat hybrid such as a man-bat.

• A human-wolf hybrid such as a werewolf (but without the full moon induced transformation).

• A lion-eagle hybrid such as a griffin, and therefore a griffin-horse hybrid such as a hippogriff.

• A human-insect hybrid.

• A human-goat hybrid such as a satyr aka faun.

• A human-lion hybrid such as a sphinx

• A lion-sheep hybrid such as a Criosphinx.

• A falcon-lion hybrid such as a Hierocosphinx.

• A human-dog hybrid.

• A human-elephant hybrid.

• A human-goat hybrid.

• A human-cattle hybrid such as a Minotaur.

• A sheep-goat hybrid.

• An ant-lion hybrid.

• A fish-horse hybrid.

• A fish-lion hybrid.

• A human-ape hybrid such as Bigfoot or the abominable snowman.

• A monkey-turtle hybrid such as a kappa (a Japanese river demon)

• A human-lion-scorpion hybrid such as a manticore

• Any type of human-animal hybrid

What are all the known real physical mutations of this world that are 100% beneficial and have no bad side effects?

How can one receive those mutations?

What are all the known real hybrid species of this world?

What are all the known real physical mutations of this world that are neutral?

Is it possible through genetic engineering to create real, living versions of the following make-believe organisms?

• A dragon

• A Midgard serpent (the giant snake demon from Viking mythology)

• A fairy

• An elf

• A sylph (a woman with the wings of a butterfly)

• A unicorn

• A person who can change shape and size at will.

• A hobbit

• A flying bird as big as a Quetzalcoatilus (the largest species of the pterosaurs, the flying cousins of the dinosaurs)

• A dwarf

• A troll

• A goblin

Can genetic engineering be used to alter the aging process? (Not the affects, just the time it takes to age. In other words, slow it down or speed it up)

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Before i continue i would need to know if the info i provided is what you were looking for (as this is time consuming as there is many questions i prefer to ask first).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it was.

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
When mentioning hybrid, we refer to genetically engineered creature and not simple matting between the two.

# XXXXX human-fish hybrid such as a mermaid or merman.
A problem would happen here with a human being hot blooded and the fish cold blooded, the 2 system have problem together. If by mermaid a human/manatee it would be more possible.

# XXXXX human-horse hybrid such as a centaur.
This come close the your more than 4 limbs creature.

# XXXXX animal-plant hybrid.
That is a bit like "the swap thing". The difficulty in that one is to make work an animal (oxygen eater and carbon producer) and a plant (a carbon eater and an oxygen producer).

# XXXXX human-plant hybrid
Every thing you can achieve with an animal you could achieve with a human. The only problem will be the legal status of the creature.

# XXXXX human-bird hybrid such as a harpy or a geruda.
This also have a system major difference. The biochemistry is not similar.

# XXXXX human-bat hybrid such as a man-bat.
Very similar, could probably be done.

# XXXXX human-wolf hybrid such as a werewolf (but without the full moon induced transformation).
Also could be done (if you look at fruit eating bat, they look a lot like dogs).

# XXXXX lion-eagle hybrid such as a griffin, and therefore a griffin-horse hybrid such as a hippogriff.
Some biochemistry difference.

# XXXXX human-insect hybrid.
Like in "The fly". In an insect the blood is not involved into the transport or oxygen.

# XXXXX human-goat hybrid such as a satyr aka faun.
Possible.

# XXXXX human-lion hybrid such as a sphinx
Possible.

# XXXXX lion-sheep hybrid such as a Criosphinx.
Possible, but the creature may like to self byte :)

# XXXXX falcon-lion hybrid such as a Hierocosphinx.
Again, bird mammal problem.

# XXXXX human-dog hybrid.
Possible

# XXXXX human-elephant hybrid.
Possible

# XXXXX human-goat hybrid.
Already mentioned

# XXXXX human-cattle hybrid such as a Minotaur.
Possible (simpler than a centaur as it only have 4 limb).

# XXXXX sheep-goat hybrid.
Possible

# XXXXX ant-lion hybrid.
There is already an insect named like that :) (Antlion). Same oxygen management problem.

# XXXXX fish-horse hybrid.
cold-hot blood problem

# XXXXX fish-lion hybrid.
cold-hot blood problem

# XXXXX human-ape hybrid such as Bigfoot or the abominable snowman.
Possible.

# XXXXX monkey-turtle hybrid such as a kappa (a Japanese river demon)
At the edge of the possible. The biochemistry of reptile is more similar than bird in relation to mammals. The hot-cold blood may be worked around.

# XXXXX human-lion-scorpion hybrid such as a manticore
haemocyanin (copper based) instead of haemoglobin (iron based) would cause toxicity.

# XXXXX type of human-animal hybrid
Possible. Early human mixed naturally between different species of humanoid of the time.

Eye colors. Skin pigmentation. Very few mutation are noticed in other animal in a men lifetime.

How can one receive those mutations?
Mutation in already developed organism can be induced by different radiation or by virus (like phages).

There is not much known but it probably happen more often than we think. Horse donkey create mule, also lion, tiger panthera (usually those are steril). The cambrian explosion was an era where simpler organism were easier to hybrid.

I don't think that even the smallest mutation is neutral. It will eventually impact the chance of a creature to live or procreate, by changing it's development speed, it's energetic need, it's weight or any other impact.

* A dragon
Why not. Methane gas ignited by enzyme reaction of eel electrical discharge.

* A Midgard serpent (the giant snake demon from Viking mythology)
Not possible, the nervous system would require too many booster to cover the distance leading into a badly adapted to compete with other creature.

* A fairy
If you remove the magic, possible.

* An elf
Immortality would not be possible.

* A sylph (a woman with the wings of a butterfly)
Not possible. Among many thing, the problem with the metamorphose phase.

* A unicorn
Possible.

* A person who can change shape and size at will.
Some fish use that strategy to deter predators. Unless adding enough neurone can induce siddhi powers.

* A hobbit
Surely possible.

* A flying bird as big as a Quetzalcoatilus (the largest species of the pterosaurs, the flying cousins of the dinosaurs)

* A dwarf
Possible

* A troll
Possible
* A goblin
Possible, again if you remove super natural power like the Tengu.

Yes. Telomeres can be changed and are part of the aging process. Some "Immortal worms" are currently the subject of such research.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What are telomeres? And here are some more questions:

Could genetic engineering possibly lead to the creation of a perfect sentient life form? (By perfect I mean one with human intelligence, a generalized diet, senses that are at maximum sharpness, resourcefulness, and the abilities to learn new things in a short time, physically and mentally adapt to any situation and place, breath underwater and in air, move easily on land but also fly and swim just as easily, regenerate itself and to do anything a human can do).

How long will it be until the first successfully cloned mammoth, and then the first successfully cloned dinosaur? Or least how long before the first successful cloning of any extinct animal?

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Telomeres are a part at the end of chromosome that serve as an error protection in cell division. It can be seen as a memory buffer when one copy a CD/DVD. When it get too short copy error may happen and the cell may die:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere

A perfect life form is always a relative thing. What is perfect in an environment may be poor in another. Genetic engineering is currently funded to increase yield of food an to patch genetic disorder but in a future where our environment would become very harsh, it sure could balance into our own chance to fit your definition of a Nietzsche "overman". Currently changing humans in significant way would create many legal, ethical and religious uprising.

I don't think we can see a cloned dinosaur (like in Michael Crichton Jurassic Park) anytime soon. Perhaps in 20 year when forensics science in recreating damaged DNA. As for Mammoth, it can be announced anytime now:
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-03/russian-and-korean-researchers-will-inject-mammoth-dna-elephant-eggs-resurrecting-10000-year-old-beast
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here is another batch of questions:

1. Could genetic engineering create a plant that could survive in practically any terrestrial environment?

2. Could genetic engineering create a plant that could survive in practically any underwater environment?

3. Could genetic engineering create a plant that could survive both underwater and on land?

4. Are genes unique to organic life forms?

5. Will it ever be possible to create synthetic genes?

6. Will it ever be possible to cure genetic diseases and eradicate them?

7. Is it true that pollutants are what cause genetic diseases to originate in an individual before it is passed on through the generations?

8. Could genetic engineering awaken an ancestral trait (a trait that an ancestral species had, but the descendant species does not, such as a monkey’s tail in a human)?

9. Why do over half of our brain cells and synapsids start to die, as we grow older, thus causing us to lose most of our potential brain power and making are brains rigid, hard wired, and specialized? It possible to regenerate these cells and synapsids? Is it possible to grow new ones?

10. What are all the breeds of purebred cats, purebred dogs, and thoroughbred horses that have genetic problems that don’t manifest themselves until later years in life? What are these genetic problems? And what are some famous examples of these animals. Please list as many as you can find for each.

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
# XXXXX genetic engineering create a plant that could survive in practically any terrestrial environment?
Yes, as long as we remove lava pit and deadly salty lake.

# XXXXX genetic engineering create a plant that could survive in practically any underwater environment?
Yes, as long as the chemical reaction for photosynthesis and that a minimum of nutriment is present.

# XXXXX genetic engineering create a plant that could survive both underwater and on land?
Yes.

# XXXXX genes unique to organic life forms?
No. You can create Artificial Intelligence program with the same concept (a Turing machine is quite similar in concept). Byte code programming language also fit this definition. As i am not a specialist in exobiology i can't comment on other life form than organic and software. It has been theorytized that life form could exist in plasma with cell made from magnetic field so genes could also exist in that domain (probably in a very different way).

# XXXXX it ever be possible to create synthetic genes?
Yes, after all we can move individual atom with STM (Scanning Tunneling Microscope).

# XXXXX it ever be possible to cure genetic diseases and eradicate them?
Yes, as long as we can know about them and their mechanism.

# XXXXX XXXXX true that pollutants are what cause genetic diseases to originate in an individual before it is passed on through the generations?
It is one of the causes, but you will always have copy error even in a clean controlled environment.

# XXXXX genetic engineering awaken an ancestral trait (a trait that an ancestral species had, but the descendant species does not, such as a monkey’s tail in a human)?
Yes. One well known is humans that get furry over all the body. The genome forget very little and keep lot of dormant data.

# XXXXX do over half of our brain cells and synapsids start to die, as we grow older, thus causing us to lose most of our potential brain power and making are brains rigid, hard wired, and specialized? It possible to regenerate these cells and synapsids? Is it possible to grow new ones?
Unlike what most think, mortality is not a problem, it's a solution to allow a more efficient evolution. We get intelligent just enough to survive in our environment and live long enough just to establish the next generations. The first bacteria that cell divided is probably still alive today.
The dying and hardwiring problem are just the result of nature "good enough" strategy. Only from our ego point of view (created by pleasure center) do we think that there must be a better way. Having now more of our data external to our body (all the knowledge) now make it evolutionary useful to perhaps shift from death to immortality or at least develop a way to transmit that knowledge to offspring more efficiently (or perhaps it will instead go to a more cyberpunk type of path with man machine hybrid).
It's possible to grow new one naturally and it's possible to help that with stem cell.

# XXXXX are all the breeds of purebred cats, purebred dogs, and thoroughbred horses that have genetic problems that don’t manifest themselves until later years in life? What are these genetic problems? And what are some famous examples of these animals. Please list as many as you can find for each.
I am not a breeder of any animal but pure breed indeed cause lot of problem. Dalmatian dog for example have hip dysplasia and are often deaf. This often come from selected proportion or problem in producing many proteins.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here is another batch of questions:

1. Is there anyway to distinguish whether a personality trait is caused by nature or nurture? If so, than how?

2. Is it true that one cell can only split into two cells at a time? Why?

3. Which traits are only caused by nature?

4. Which traits are only caused by nurture?

5. I have often imagined that one day, scientists would concoct life, through the following process.

1. Mixing the right organic substances together into genes and cells.

2. Merging the right cells into organs.

3. Connecting the right organs to form organ systems.

4. Connecting all these organ systems in the proper way to create a living organism.

Will this actually be possible sometime in the future? Why or why not?

1. Could genetic engineering create a new species or animal or plant?

2. How do all female animals like whiptail lizards reproduce when there are no males in their species?

3. I heard that certain species of West African frog have the ability to spontaneously change sexes in a single sex population. How do they do this? And are there any other animals with that same ability?

4. Why do so many people hate transgender people, or mutants, or organisms with healthy but strange genetic traits like excess body hair (nicknamed: “werewolf syndrome”) or an unusual number of limbs or an unusual number of digits or Siamese twins, or people who are both man and woman in the same body at the same time?

5. Which of our cells enter Gap 0, and which ones continue to replicate throughout our lifetimes?

6. I know that when a cell divides, it is called binary fission where as the merging of an egg and sperm cell is called fertilization. But could fertilization also be called “binary fusion?”

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
# XXXXX XXXXX anyway to distinguish whether a personality trait is caused by nature or nurture? If so, than how?
Some ADN marker can be used for that but it's not 100% accurate. You can also do empirical study following many adopted child and also twin separated at birth.

# XXXXX XXXXX true that one cell can only split into two cells at a time? Why? Yes, it come from the DNA being a double helix.

# XXXXX traits are only caused by nature?
They are all caused by nature, nurture only will act as a multiplier or divider of those traits.

# XXXXX traits are only caused by nurture?
See above.
# XXXXX have often imagined that one day, scientists would concoct life, through the following process.

2. Merging the right cells into organs.

It is indeed a possible way as long as they share the right "key" to not cause organ reject. It also make a life form that is not "complete" in the traditional sense as it require external aids (a bit like an operating system that can't compile itself).

We have the cell so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHIocNOHd7A

A better way is to implement staged cellular development from undifferentiated cell that will then fork into a different goal (organ) at a certain event or threshold and fork again or stop/stabilize at another event. Note that connecting the brain to nervous system to all skin nerve would be quite a challenge by doing it the Frankenstein way.

Yes

They do by Parthenogenesis. Others animal like some spider and deep water fish can keep reserve of sperm from previous encounter with male as they might not see (encounter) another one for a long time. Some animal simply are hermaphrodites having both sex.

Those action are know as protandry and protogyny. You can read more about it under the term "sequential hermaphroditism":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_hermaphroditism

Because a species want to converge toward a stable form that served it well in a stable environment. If the environment change, the species will have no choice but to select to mate with a very different individual if others more similar are too few. The Individual does not only want his kids to be like him but the kids of other also (you can see a species like a meta-individual).

Those cell are called somatic stem cells"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_stem_cell
Look at the "type" section for all their flavor.
The cell that can't change are differentiated cells. They can be returned to a stem cell that said:
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/27/science/la-sci-yamanaka-20101127

It could, but the sperm act more like a virus than another cell (not something everybody agree on).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is the last question I have.

What would you call a phenotype that combines traits of both parents, not as an intermediate but as an addition? Ex. A mother horse is 7 hands tall, and the father is 10 inchers tall but their offspring is 17 hands tall. Or an elephant is as strong and as both of his/her parents combined. Or a human child has the combined intelligence of his/her parents. And is there such a thing as a phenotype like this?

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
By addition meaning not the end result but as the quantified difference? If so that would be the "heritability". It is part of the field of "quantitative genetics".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is what I mean. And is it possible for something like that to occur?

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
If you mean the mother can lift 200 lbs and the father can lift 200 lbs, the kid would lift 400 lbs, it don't really work that way. The kid will be more an average in different proportion from the parents. It can still happen that a phenotype become completely out of bound of that average but in such case it would mostly come outside from the genotype of the parents and be caused by a mutation causing the re-emergence of usually unused genetic material or a new mutation and will have few relation to the initial ratio of the parents or be a multiple of it.

The same way if the parent are especially week, it's possible that the kid have normal strength as there is an average to the individual but also an average to the species (like a species inertia if you want).
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting