SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

What can I do to get rid belly fat?

What can I do to get rid belly fat?
Category: General
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Can you please tell me more about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you need to know?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, what exactly is the belly fat problem you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At age 58 I notice more belly fat I don't like the felling of it on my legs when I bend over,
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Your height and weight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5'8". 170
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.
My name isXXXXX am a physiology and fitness/exercise specialist here on JustAnswer - this is quite a long read, so grab a drink to sip on and get comfy.***Remember to rate after reading please****

Generally speaking as people age because of the changes in hormonal balance, body water, muscle mass loss and usually with people that do a little less activity and an increase in sedentary(non active) lifestyle, its common for both men and women to store fatty tissue around the mid section.

There is a simple way to lose this, that will also benefit the rest of your body, helping you lose the unwanted fat - which generally speaking is healthier and will make you feel much better.

I will do my best to answer your question with the information you have provided. Be sure to consult your physician with any major lifestyle change or exercise/food/supplement additions.

Keep in mind through reading this that the body works on a use it or store it type of design. The best way to drop unwanted pounds is to simply increase your activity levels and replace calorie dense foods(fast food, greasy, fatty, sugary) with nutrient dense(healthful) foods and space them out so you are eating smaller meals more often.

Building muscle and using already stored bodyfat during exercise(even as simple as walking) is the easiest most sustainable way to burn fat.

If you change your daily habits by simply parking farther away, walking to the mailbox, taking the stairs - these in combination can have a huge impact on total calories burned in a week and ultimately make you healthier otherwise.

Reducing your bodyweight to a healthier level can be a accomplished a myriad of ways. Typically, these are a combination of diet and exercise and I would strongly recommend both but since you asked specifically for non-exercise ways I will elaborate.

Diet modification is absolutely a crucial, essential part to reducing bodyweight and keeping it off.

Reducing the amount of processed food, calorie dense and unhealthy food, simple sugars(anything sweet mostly) and creating a situation of daily grazing is some of the best ways to reduce unwanted bodyweight.

Fruits and vegetables(whole preferably, frozen is fine) can be consumed throughout the day and are a vital source of nutrients while being relatively low on calories. Foods made from whole grains, such as wheat, quinoa, sweet potato, brown rice provide sustained energy while being complex enough in makeup that they do not trigger a body fat storing insulin response. These are considered complex carbohydrates because they are digested slower than simple carbohydrates which are digested quickly.

Since fried foods are considerably more calorie dense(many calories in a space amount) than whole foods, eliminating these will also give you a head start on reducing overall caloric intake.

Water keeps the body hydrated and clear non-alcohol, low calories beverages can be consumed to assist in fat loss but more importantly keep you hydrated.

Timing and spacing of meals is also often over looked. Humans, by evolutionary designed are made to graze with the occasional big meal(hunters). Typically the human body's metabolism is at its highest(burning the most calories) when it is fed small meals and snacks over the course of a waking day, to reach the recommended daily caloric intake.

Reducing your daily caloric intake by only 500 calories a day will also start this process. To get an idea of this, it is only 3500 calories a week, which should equate to roughly .5 kg of fat loss a week, assuming all other things are kept equal.

So cliffs notes for this:
-Reduce or eliminate processed foods
-Whole foods over packaged or processed
-Stick to lean proteins - chicken, lean beef,(the size of a playing card deck)
-Eliminate fried, and fatty foods
-Fruits and vegetables whenever you like
-Space meals and snacks so you are eating a small amount every 2-3 hours, once you adjust you will not be hungry
-Maintain hydration by drinking water and other clear fluids.
-Increase the amount of activity you do be that walking to the mailbox, taking stairs, walking around the block.
-To start, reduce calories by as little as 500 a day to show you the positive effects of a little change(thats only 100 to 250 per meal depending on your current diet).

Aside from this, really a lot of these "supplements" are little things that give a slight metabolic boost . By SLIGHT i mean very slight as in a couple more calories out of 1000 - not hundreds more for each thousand. A great thing to sip on is green tea, eiconasoids and a little bit of caffeine are known to provide a slight boost in metabolism but still in a natural safe drink provided you aren't caffeine sensitive(and enjoy teas of any sort really).

The whole idea of this permanent lifestyle change is to make it reasonable, by this I mean if you cannot stick to it, the weight may come back. The point is to adopt a healthier lifestyle of diet and activity so the weight stays off and you have a positive experience shedding it.

If you need me to elaborate please let me know. I have a personal friend who followed this relatively loosely and dropped roughly 25kg because his job didn't afford him time to exercise. He packed his lunch, dropped all unhealthy food, and the excess weight fell off. He allowed himself 1 "cheat" meal a week to do whatever he wanted(within reason) but again he modified his diet so that he could stick to it while still enjoying food.

Have a great day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what is frustrating! I do all of that! Drink water eat right!
Oatmeal with fruit and cinnamon for breakfast. Lunch is usually a salad and supper is meat , rice,vegetables. I eat fruit as well. Sip on green tea after supper. We have a dog and I do walk her and walk at work as well!!!
Ok thats actually excellent to hear!!

What I would start doing is walking regularly, not EXTREME amounts, but making it a point to walk more than just the dog - basically you just need to be in a caloric deficit, literally thats all the body requires to burn fat.

The other thing you could do(and I'm sure you wouldn't initially want to hear this) is to figure out where you are calorie wise, then subtract something.

Now, you can subtract a couple hundred calories on the day either eating a little bit less, cutting out snacks or treats, OR you can BURN those calories.

The other thing that people don't like hearing is that the body doesn't spot reduce(ie. pull fat from just 1 place) we are built to store in certain places for a reason but spot reduction isn't possible.

The easiest way is most people burn around 100 calories or so a mile, and a comfortable walking pace is 3 mph, which equates to about 20minutes per mile.

So we know immediately for every hour of walking you do, thats around 300-330 calories. Think about it this way - if a pound of bodyfat is around 3500 calories and you walk 20-30 in the morning, and an hour after dinner, you will be able to lose around a pound a week, assuming you're not eating WAY more. This way we know its a safe "pace" to lose at and that you're not using any muscle mass for energy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That makes sense! Are there any exercises that I could add to build muscle? I have heard weight training helps to burn fat as well
Weight training, and keep better resting tone in the muscles, putting on some nice long lean muscle WILL help you burn more calories, which at your age is a great idea.

This all depends on what you think you want to do - simple body weight exercises such as stair climbing, chair get up and bodyweight squatting, exaggerated stepping exercises(also called a lunge) will give you a great deal of balance and stability training as well as increase lean muscle. Spending time using the muscles of the legs will build functional, usable strength quickly.

For upper body, you can do the basics like over head pressing with soup cans, biceps curls overhead tricep extensions for the back of the arm. You can do basic pushups, or modified pushups from the knees until your strength is good for bodyweight. If you have access to exercise bands you can tie them to a door and pull them to your midsection for a "rowing" type exercise.

Biggest thing you want to focus on is choosing a weight, or a number of repetitions(near the end of the set) that is challenging, but also a resistance you can CONTROL, after all controlling the weight, the body, whatever the "resistance" both during effort and release is what builds strength, not heaving or "cheating" the exercise.

QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY of repetitions over quantity - quantity will come.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist

I thought of another build-on for you that is mighty important.

One of the most important things is training the body to operate in free space(our lovely world with gravity, but a lot of instability).

Ideally in your case, you should aim to progress to exercises that are considered functional. Functional in training sense is something that can transfer or be replicated into the real world. For example, basketball players squatting and overhead pressing because when they jump straight up to block a shot, it literally is the same combinations of movements.

So while you aren't playing basketball, you are walking and stepping up and over instable objects. So you want to eventually progress to different stanced lower body exercises, even single leg because balance and stability must be trained. For the upper body there is always a time where people may need to support themselves with 1 hand while leaning, push themselves off the ground, carry unstable or unbalanced objects, reaching with outstretched arms with tools in strange positions(which all translates to core activation) etc... so when you are doing your exercises, you should and will want to aim to get into things that most replicate movement in free space. This is why gyms include free weights in place of just machines and this is why the most highly skilled sportsmen and athletes use free weights in a majority of their training unless its a sport specific machine.

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS

I thought of even more, now that you have had a chance to process all the other info - and believe me I know its a ton.

I thought of this when talking to my own mother who around your age. You need to be working and balance and stability as a part of your exercise routine.

By this I mean incorporating(in a safe manner) exercises that force your body to upregulate your body's sense of spatial awareness, meaning that when your knee or hip or ankle(any joint at all) is in a certain position or the body is at a certain position, the reflex system realizes this and has muscles ready to fire and control the body.

We see this need in elderly populations where the people have been so sedentary for so long and haven't "trained" these functions that the body simply can't control itself leaving them open to falling and other injuries related - in many cases strength and balance training would have prevented a lot of this.

So the easiest ways to do this are doing the single leg exercises and "split stance" exercises like working the stairclimbing, lunging, doing the exercises on carpet in barefoot(versus the stable wood floor with sneakers on), doing single leg balance while doing chores, and progressing to a point where you can stand on one leg for a good period of time, even making it more unstable by placing folded towels underneath the food, pillows, but always making sure you are controlling and "recovering" from the instability even though the ankle knee and hip musculature will be firing to keep you stable.

Even doing your upper body exercises like the overhead can pressing, tricep extension, rowing, bicep exercises for the arms, doing them on 1 foot will help tremendously because remember: those arms are levers and they are influencing the lower body to stabilize through the core.

You will find that adding this in to your workouts at home, day to day things will improve for example you may only get 15 seconds even just standing on one foot, but the next day you may be able to stand for 20 or 30 seconds - the body responds quite fast to low level instability training.

The point of all this is to add them because you will always be at an advantage to someone who doesn't do this type of training, more importantly you won't run into the risks as you get older of having poor balance and strength thus keeping you safer.

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS