SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I have dimples starting on my legs - what causes this?

Category: General
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me more about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you need to know?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I need to know what you mean by dimples.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don' t think it is cellulite but similar
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--so are you asking what treatments there are for that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and what causes it
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.
Hi there its Mike again from the other question I am working with you on.

So to explain why cellulite causes dimples - basically its fat cell growth that "pushes" on surrounding tissue.

The question I would imagine you have is "what tissue" and basically this boils down to a very common connective tissue that allows all the layers(skin to deep skin to fat to muscle) to stay "tacked" together and move. To put it another way, if we didn't have this general connective tissue, everything would just sag and hang off of us. It keeps everything tight and together.

So basically the dimpled look is from the fat tissue growth growing in little "pockets" and just pushing unevenly which is why you may notice it a bit more when you're in a certain position - for example many ladies might notice this when they cross one leg over the other, on the outside, this again is just because that motion pushes the full thickness of tissues, starting with the leg muscles and everything else "stacked" on it and just makes it look uneven.

It is very common, believe it or not, even in younger populations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay - so what can you do to repair or flatten out?
Did that help you understand what causes that dimpled look?

The easiest way is a reduction in bodyfat, ie. leaning out the physique so that the fatty tissue isn't "pushing".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the extra walking should do that?
Absolutely - but keep in mind, changing the body takes time, dedication to the goal and some patience.

Building buildings takes, time, effort and the right materials and plans, the body is a building so just keep in mind - but stay focused on the goal and keep progressing.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist