JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Type Your Question Here...

Coconut cream filling has chilled in frig overnight and is

Coconut cream filling has chilled in frig overnight and is runny, is there a fix to this at this point? Or am I doomed for my fathers b-day pie to be served in a bowl.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. How many hours before dessert is to be served?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

about 8hrs

Thank you.

Your options are to: (a) quickly make a new pie and chill it for part of the time in your freezer (the rest of the time in the fridge), or (b) place the existing pie in the freezer, and then pull it out approx. 15 minutes prior to cutting and serving, or (c) scrape out the filling, reheat it, add more cornstarch slurry, and re-chill.

If you have the time, I'd go for option "a".

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what do you mean by cornstarch slurry?

What were the ingredients you used to make your filling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sugar, cornstarch, milk, flour, salt, eggs, butter and vanilla

Thank you. A slurry is made by separately mixing the cornstrach with a bit of your liquid. Then you incorporate the slurry into you main mix.

You don't want to add the cornstarch directly because it never incorporates well. You get chunks.

You want to make a slurry of the cornstarch with some milk, and then whisk the slurry into your "warm" filling, and keep whisking it over low heat and watch it firm up on you.