Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I live in Norway, Maine and we are in great need of a new animal

I live in Norway, Maine and we are in great need of a new animal shelter. Our current shelter, Responsible Pet Care is 501c3, and a no kill shelter is well respected in the shelter community. The shelter houses 85-100 cats and up to 11 dogs. The shelter is in total disrepair.
We are interested in purchasing a building that will solve all our needs and will take care of our future needs.
I am asking for any info/tips/ideas on fund raising.
Also do "you" know of organizations or individuals that grant grants for animal shelters?
Thank you
Joyce Gardner
Hi Joyce, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Your Shelter sounds like a Godsend for the cats and dogs in your area and you're doing a great job! Laughing

You're off to a good start re: the fundraising effort, and I can help you with some additional suggestions: a 'topless' (not what you think) car wash, selling 'paw paintings', and many other good ideas can be found in detail, here:

Bake sales, a block party selling food and crafts, and a lottery for a grand prize, like a flat screen tv donated by a local electronics store would also be great.

Here is another site with good ideas for you:

Take a look at some of these organizations that provide grants to animal shelters:

I wish you much good luck in your fundraising efforts and hope you are able to build a new shelter for your furry residents! Your cause is very dear to my heart!

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit for assisting you.

Please rate when you are satisfied with my answer. My only goal is your satisfaction!

Best regards,